Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How easy to establish bank/checking account in Chile?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderingsalsero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: How easy to establish bank/checking account in Chile? Reply with quote

I might be coming down to Chile sometime around Feb or March. How difficult or easy in getting some kind of bank account to put my earnings (and whatever money I bring with me) into?

Also, over here in S.Korea I have an Amexco debit card from Samsung which I use to fund my PayPal account and pay for various things by automatic draft every month.

Will it be possible to get something with either a Visa, MC or Amexco logo in Chile?

No.....I don't have have a US bank account. I've got bad credit.

Thanks,
Art
Dia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once you are legal you may be able to get a cuenta RUT, which is a very simple savings account with a cash card you use at ATMs. im not sure if it includes debit or not.

getting a full checking account is much more difficult and they often ask for lots of secure proof of income and that still doesnt always prove much to them when theyr'e dealing with foreigners.
Don Alan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you need to be a permanent resident to get a checking account. It's not easy to open a bank account in Chile. I know from experience. You need residence plus work contract, regular earning above a certain amount etc..
As mentioned in the other post it's easier to get a cuenta vista that is just a simple account with a debit card, even for that you will need at least some sort of residence and a contract - but you don't get cheques or visa with that one.
In short, it's incredibly bureaucratic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: