Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bogus episode on House Hunters International
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Bogus episode on House Hunters International Reply with quote

So I have recently visited family in the States and became addicted to House Hunters International and was intrigued with a particular episode involving a New Yorker who just signed a huge contract teaching English at a private school in Rome. She appeared to have no experience living overseas for she was complaining and asking the real estate agents if she can get take out and 24 hour services. Check this episode out online because it seemed like a total lie.

1. They gave her a $4500 per month stipend for housing Shocked

2. They hired an AMERICAN with no overseas experience.

3. She was looking for flats in the center of Rome and complained that if she could not find something under $4500 she would have to pay from her salary, what type of salary could she have had?

4. These fringe benefits were for teaching 1st grade.

5. She was hired from abroad.

6. In the end, she opted for the flat close to the Vatican at $6500 per month (if I remember correctly). How is this possible teaching ESL in Rome even for a prestigious private school?

7. Lets just assume she had amazing credentials- why would they still hire someone from abroad who is American and appeared to have no experience living or teaching overseas. And the salary and stipend for the flat- WTF?!!!!!

Has anyone else seen this? Please watch it online and tell me that it must be a total hoax!!!! If not- why are there no signs of non EU citizens with such fringe benefits teaching in Rome here on Dave's Wink Are they in hiding??!!!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the programme, but maybe she was teaching at an International School, rather than a language school.

She's going some if she can only find a flat near the Vatican for $6500. Believe me, you can get a decent flat for about a sixth of the price. I had a one-bed flat (with views of the Vatican) at a rent that (five years ago) just went up to under $1000. Did she have gold-plated taps or something?
cks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were nice 2 bedrooms, but some of the flats shown were in the $7000 range. But don't you agree that everything seemed totally bogus? Would an international school hire an American from abroad and pay such salaries? Hulu will not let us foreigners watch their shows, but see if this link works for you from HGTV.

http://www.hgtv.com/video/apartment-hunting-in-rome2-video/index.html

I am dying for the teachers on this forum to see this! It seemed too outrageous. Do you have such benefits? And this gal was straight from NYC and clueless about Europe.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total fantasy Cool
cks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when I was in the States, I also saw the popular programs Ghost Hunters and Celebrity Ghost Stories, are you trying to tell me that those programs were utter fantasy too???!!! Laughing
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than the scary reality of drug adverts!!
cks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that episode of House Hunters International really upset me. You should have seen this woman. I think that there are probably a few yahoos who watched this episode and thought "wow, I could teach English in Rome for a high salary too". I hate to see such a lie. I hope they put this episode on youtube, because I am ready to make some comments.
Caroline

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw that episode of House Hunters. I can't imagine where she was teaching or why she was paying so much for an apartment. I felt like there was no way she was making that kind of salary. Maybe her parents are footing the bill and she was embarrassed to admit that she's only making 1,000 euro a month!
cks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible, but also the issue that they hired her from abroad, and hired an American. There are plenty of us non EU citizens who have been teaching for years and already abroad who would kill for such a chance. And she really did not have the "look" that I assume the Itallians are after for a teacher, if they actually went out of their way to hire someone from abroad who has never taught overseas before. I really hope this episode gets uploaded on youtube so that people can make some comments.
fregona

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw the episode too. Here she was living in Rome, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and she just couldn't live with the wallpaper and the paint colour! Ridiculous. I'd kill to have one of those apartments and live there for a period of time.
MilanTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this. I googled the teacher's name, and she works for the American Overseas School in Rome. While they surely give a more livable salary than a language school there is NO WAY they give employees a 3,000 a month housing allowance. Come on.

International schools are good in that they give a contratto a tempo inderterminato, so lots of benefits, but salaries usually start at 1,500 a month, and positions are HIGHLY competitive, so they don't have to offer great relocation packages to entice people (at least not in Italy).

My husband and I have a theory- she had that huge Manhattan apartment that she was subletting (likely a gift from mommy+daddy). That would have easily gotten $4-5K a month in rent. Most likely this was the "housing allowance" they were referring to but it sounded much more professional to say it was from her employer.

A teacher living in a 6K a month apartment with a Vatican View? Seriously? I wish they would do an episode with a language school teacher making 1,000 a month and spending 600 for a tiny apartment in an ugly far flung suburb Laughing
deniserita

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so funny...I just sent my resume to that school and went through all the teachers looking to see if House Hunter's girl worked at that school. I couldn't remember her name or what she looked like.
Glad you figured it out Very Happy
MilanTeacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Nicole Tausend. If you look at the website for the school you can find her. I would love to know how that $6,500 a month Vatican View apartment is working out for her!!! The AOSR doesn't give it's benefits packages on its website, but the International School of Milan used to (I just check and they don't anymore). And it was something like 1,500 a month (with a 100 a year salary increase) plus 2 bonus salaries, and paid school holidays. No mention of a $4,500 living stipend...
deniserita

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know! Can you imagine living there....ahhh to dream.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be that she has extra money. Maybe she sold her house or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: