Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Country in Eastern Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's the best country to teach in in Eastern Europe as far as pay, vacation time, and working conditions?
Poland
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Czech Republic
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Slovakia
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Croatia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Romania
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Hungary
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bulgaria
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Albania
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ukraine
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Belarus
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Omeo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Best Country in Eastern Europe Reply with quote

Hello, all.

I'm an American and, as such, cannot fulfill my dream of teaching in Western Europe, so I come to you today asking for suggestions for EASTERN Europe. I know that countries in East Europe have notoriously low pay, but I'd still like some suggestions about which country is the best as far as pay, vacation time, and working conditions. I apologize if this has been covered in another thread, but the search engine isn't cooperating with me. Perhaps one of you could direct me to said thread.

I appreciate your time and help. Thank you.
johnnyenglishteacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having done Hungary and Slovakia, and with friends who have taught in Czech Rep and Poland, I can tell you that Slovenia (my current country) is very wealthy for the region. My pay is 11 euros/teaching hour, rent and bills come to about 550 month, and food, drink and travel - well to be honest I am not counting because I am paying for me and my girlfriend to be here.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 euro per academic hour in Latvia, 10-15 for privates. Bills 100-150 euro (more in Winter) and rent, well I don't pay any but it would be 200 euro to rent a flat if I did.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Russia? Is located in Eastern Europe too, (except for the massive Asian part beyond the Urals). And my Czech buddies wouldn't be too happy to be lumped in with the Easterners. Central Europe is where they say they are.

I'd recommend Russia, and Moscow, but depends on your pain threshold. Conditions are not so easy, but the pay can be fairly good - 25 EU or more per 45 min lesson privately. Expenses are high too of course. And as for the visas...
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only worked in one of those countries so it's impossible to choose 'the best' one.

I charge 15 Euro/contact hour for private lessons and 25 Euro/contact hour on contract (works out about 15 Euro after tax). You could charge more if you targeted the rich and famous. I tend to go for the middle class students (more reliable, more of them).

Those working in International high schools get about 1500-2500 Euro a month depending on experience, duties, school and qualifications. There aren't many language schools here, probably only a dozen, and I don't know how much they pay now, but probably not much.

Rent ranges from 250-500 Euro per month depending on location and size, although there are a lot of fancy flats aimed at foreigners for a hell of a lot more. My monthly bills (phone, net, cable TV, electricity, heating, gas, etc) come to about 150 Euro on average (not including food). Food prices about average for Europe, nights out a little cheaper.
slaqdog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of these countries are in Central Europe.
There is no best country in Eastern Europe; merely some are less awful than others.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived and worked in Ukraine for two years and if I had made about twice the salary would probably still be there today. I absolutely adore that country, especially the western part.
Highly recommended, but you've got to be flexible.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomadwoman wrote:
I was going to vote for Poland, but the poll seems to be closed.

I've worked in Poland and in Budapest, Hungary, which should probably be dead last on the poll. The average wage at a good school is 10 euros GROSS per 45 minutes, and invoices (their way of taking care of taxes)can cost you up to 30 percent of that. I made about 9 euros net for 60 minute lessons and considered myself lucky. Rent in Budapest is reasonable (350-500 per month) but utilities are very high. Because of the harsh winter this year, gas alone was about 175 euros a month for Jan and Feb. Most TEFL teachers have to work 30-35 contact hours a week to keep up with bills and have a little left for some entertainment. And the students are the most difficult that I've encountered in 6 years of teaching in three different countries...

I made about 30 percent more in Poland and the cost of living is much lower, except for rent, which is about the same as in Budapest. I could live decently teaching 20 hours a week.

20 hours a week is not too bad for a full-time TEFL job. Are you American?

If it is illegal for Americans to work in the EU, then how are they doing it - illegally?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is illegal for Americans to work in the EU, then how are they doing it - illegally?

It is NOT illegal for Americans to work 'in the EU.' Each country has its own laws regarding work permits, though there is some uniformity among most of the 'old' EU member countries.

It IS near-impossible to get work permits for most western EU member countries eg: France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Netherlands, Austria.

Some exceptions: Germany, Czech Rep, Poland, Slovakia, some other 'new' EU member countries. Varying degrees of difficulty: easier in Slovakia than Germany (very difficult but some people have succeeded), for example. Used to be exceptions: Belgium and Luxembourg. Not sure of current status.
six bolt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I charged 11 euro per hour for private lessons in Czech Republic. I honestly think I could have made more but 11 euro per hour was a comfortable sum.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about 280kc/hour. It's kinda sad - that's what I charged for private lessons in the CR in 1998.

Not to imply that you were undercharging - I just think the market has been stagnant to this shocking degree for teachers over the past 12 years! My full-time gross salary back then was 26,000/monthly. I think teaching salaries are only very slightly higher than that today.
MsDooLittle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bratislava, Slovakia - �20 for 60mins privates, between �30/36 for 60 mins by invoice (with the 'zivnostensky' license to do business). Depending on the student/client... sometimes they even pay invoices twice, a 'friendly' mistake...
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: ha ha Reply with quote

Was in the pub in Poland the other day and someone called Central Europe 'White Africa'-made me chuckle. I work in Libya......I kinda get the analogy. Re the OP-Poland is expensive now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: