Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The latest on Berlitz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: The latest on Berlitz Reply with quote

Going from this ad, it seems an ok kind of job. I have heard some bad stories from past teachers working there, but that was a while ago.

$1200-$2400 depending on quals and experience. ...or do they only pay 1200 full stop.

If anyone is currently working at Berlitz (Istanbul) I would be interested in knowing what the current conditions are. What salary can I expect to make per month? curriculum, housing, work atmosphere, on-time pay?

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=24443
billy orr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one got something to say? I would like to hear the latest on them too. Silence suggests they may not be as bad as they were, perhaps??
lucia79

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who worked there and she said it was fine, didn't have any problems and was paid well.
_smaug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucia79 wrote:
I have a friend who worked there and she said it was fine, didn't have any problems and was paid well.

ditto
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they requıre a celta or tesol cert?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berlitz has their own method and they do in-house training. Unpaid, I believe, but free.

You won't want to put it on your CV later as schools that use other methods will likely think it useless, but if you really need to get a foot in the door somewhere and can't find a better way to do it, Berlitz can be a way.....where I'm from, they are known as the employer who will readily hire CELTA and other TEFL course failures Shocked .
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unpaid training, but only if you complete your contract. If not, they'll slap a massive fee on you after the fact, as well as threaten to sue you in international courts for breach of contract: to the tune of about 5 or 6 grand, as far as I remember.

The 'training' usually consists of a video session which re-hashes the Direct Method.

All my info is based on a so-called interview I had with the Istanbul branch, some years ago now, admittedly. Perhaps it has changed somewhat, but my friends still on the ground there say it has not really improved.

All in all, best avoided unless you really really are totally desperate. The sort of desperation that drives people into the clutches of loan sharks...

Don't do it.
vashdown2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the reasons I explain below, I am resigning from a position at Berlitz Taksim branch.

First of all, I have been in Istanbul since November 25th, and have still not worked a full day (almost 3 weeks)
I have not been trained as other employees are- meaning in the the first week.
It is impossible for me to go 3 weeks without work.

Secondly, Berlitz Istanbul is now going through a major change in operations, and I was informed of this big change just immediately after being offered the job.

Third, and very important- the housing offered as part of the salary is in very bad condition.
The room is very very small. The paint is peeling off, and there is mold on the walls.
Also, one of the current roomates was extremeley rude to me and I do not want to live with such a person.
Having the hot water on and off, and having a very cold apartment is the final problem.

Honestly I did not expect such treatment from a well-known language school.

Several staff members are very nice. I wish them well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: