Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice to NEWBIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mancboy84

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steinmann wrote:
denise wrote:
Case in point: the "finding that first job" thread. Glad I didn't get involved in that one... You try to offer advice and get told off for it.

To echo a comment made on that thread, best of luck to folks who disregard responses (which can be anything, of course, from subjective personal opinions to actual facts about working requirements) and venture out there anyway. Some of you will get lucky; some of you won't. But if you respond with hostility towards people on the forum who were trying to help you, you'll definitely piss a few people off on the way.

d

Please believe that some of us really do value input from those in the know around here, even though it may be discouraging at times.

Seconded
Enigma2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

My advice to newbies would be to search and read up on the countries where they want to go.

Excellent advice naturegirl321. Get information from forums like Daves, but also do your own research on the places you want to go.
LH123

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one could realistically argue against the doctrine of

Get Qualified!

Doing so has the dual benefit of education/experience and formal recognition of ability.

Getting Qualified might be considered a process of personal and professional development for some, while for others it might be simply a formalisation of what they already know...but either way, it's rare that you hear someone lament about how-well-qualified-they-are.
denise

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LH123 wrote:
No-one could realistically argue against the doctrine of

Get Qualified!

Doing so has the dual benefit of education/experience and formal recognition of ability.

Getting Qualified might be considered a process of personal and professional development for some, while for others it might be simply a formalisation of what they already know...but either way, it's rare that you hear someone lament about how-well-qualified-they-are.

Where's the "like" button on this forum?!

d
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Keep it coming! Reply with quote

Other tips/advice for the newbies?
artemisia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the ''get qualified'' theme. It's fine to get entry level, basic TEFL requirements and then work experience. Many people go this route and then go back later for higher level quals.

My suggestion would be to try and get the higher quals as early as possible though if you can afford to. It can be tough to take up part or full time study later on when juggling work (and other) obligations. Before you head off, just check what subsidies may be available in your country to get at least an initial (if not higher) degree and if travelling/working abroad will have impact on your eligibility for that funding. There may be a certain number of years of residency required back home first even though you're a citizen. Once you've got better qualifications and some experience, more work possibilities will open up.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artemisia wrote:
More on the ''get qualified'' theme. It's fine to get entry level, basic TEFL requirements and then work experience. Many people go this route and then go back later for higher level quals.

My suggestion would be to try and get the higher quals as early as possible though if you can afford to. It can be tough to take up part or full time study later on when juggling work (and other) obligations. Before you head off, just check what subsidies may be available in your country to get at least an initial (if not higher) degree and if travelling/working abroad will have impact on your eligibility for that funding. There may be a certain number of years of residency required back home first even though you're a citizen. Once you've got better qualifications and some experience, more work possibilities will open up.

Solid advice Cool
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bit of advice:

Make sure you do your homework and have a plan B.

Nothing worse than getting to a country, not speaking the language, to just find out that the job offer either fell through or the job's a joke.

If that happens, then what?

Be sure to have enough to survive for 6-8 weeks on the ground job hunting and airfare back home.

Best of luck to all the newbies!
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice to NEWBIES Reply with quote

[quote="Prof.Gringo"] or you could care less if you make low wages forever [quote]

I've noticed North Americans say this, but in the UK we would say 'couldn't care less', as in it's not possible for us to care any less about the given subject. I would say the UK version makes more sense. Smile
mozzar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

And I agree. The phrase "I could care less" to indicate you couldn't care less is absolutely retarded.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understood that either. I could care less means you care at least a little. I could care less, but I can't help it. I love you.
Zero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sarcastic. "I could theoretically care less, I guess ... not exactly sure how, but I suppose it is conceivable."

The UK version is straight and boring.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero wrote:
It is sarcastic. "I could theoretically care less, I guess ... not exactly sure how, but I suppose it is conceivable."

Yeah, that makes sense... Rolling Eyes
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero wrote:

Yeah, that makes sense... Rolling Eyes
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Could care less" is a solecism; kind of like "irregardless".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: