Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kidnappings and FPI
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr fred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamagorilla wrote:
Thanks for the responses - I am going to continue my research into teaching in Indonesia without fear of being kidnapped by the extremist groups Smile

Perhaps you find news reports about people being kidnapped in Indonesia.
Paranoid rubbish.
The FPI are nutters but they're a tiny minority of idiots in a country full of wonderful people.
52skidoo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
My 2 cents worth. I have taught in both places and very much preferred Indonesia. The Javanese people are very polite. I taught in Jakarta, Bandung and Surabaya. My favorite was Bandung with its cooler mountain climate.
Best of luck with choosing a place.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bule_Gila wrote:

Terrorist groups JI are close to extinct here, so terrorism, although a small issue, isn't as threatening as outsiders think it is.

But becoming very ill on a regular basis from a whole host of factors is a threat. There have been some native teachers who have even died from the diseases that occur regularly in Indonesia. Dysentary, Amoebic dysentary, typhus (I don't know which one, indegenous or epidemic) all there for someone to pick up if you live there long enough, as well as TB. Make sure you have sufficient funds at all times to go to a decent private westernized hospital.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr fred wrote:
mamagorilla wrote:
Thanks for the responses - I am going to continue my research into teaching in Indonesia without fear of being kidnapped by the extremist groups Smile

Paranoid rubbish.
The FPI are nutters but they're a tiny minority of idiots in a country full of wonderful people.

I've said it before and had a Balinese women say it to me once; The police are the criminals (including immigration). Aside from some desperately poor people that follow you around and others that overcharge the Indonesians are pretty decent.
mr fred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
mr fred wrote:
mamagorilla wrote:

Paranoid rubbish.

I've said it before and had a Balinese women say it to me once; The police are the criminals (including immigration). Aside from some desperately poor people that follow you around and others that overcharge the Indonesians are pretty decent.

Imigrasi used to be bent but are far better now.
The police are often corrupt but tend to leave foreigners alone.
A few very poor people have pestered me for cash but very few.
Overcharging is a common prolem. Learn what prices should be so it doesn't happen to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: