Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No German friends. Do you have any?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have any German friends?
No, none.
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Yes, one or two
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Yes, many.
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

Hod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy who last lived in Germany when the Berlin Wall stood goes back for a weekend. Is it a social call or reciprocating the times they visited you in Saudi? You must come and visit Schottland and all that. Even I would be able to say I had German friends if I saw them once every few decades. And why didn�t you buy a place here like I did?
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 2 weeks. And I have been in Germany most years in the summer since 1996.

Never mind in Germany, do you have friends anywhere in the known Universe ?
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one friend. He�s never bothered to visit me once, but I do visit him for a few days every summer. Does that count?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us have more friends than others. Mine often join me on my Estates in the Balkans, now liberated from the "Unspeakable Turk".

Which reminds me - the greeting today is

Christ is risen. Христос възкресе
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A polite question about estates in the Balkans. Why are you living in �social housing� in Bute?
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like every EFLer, I have a right to a fantasy life ! Do you imagine that what is posted on this forum is THE TRUTH ?

Maybe you are like those who think that Coronation Street and Eastenders are documentaries ?

Tschuessi, Freundchen !
Tina23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy to say that I have quite a few German friends, but then again, that's because I've spent half my life in this country Smile
But I've noticed that it's a lot easier to get to know your students if you're teaching smaller groups and 1-2-1 classes. There are 13 people in my biggest group, and it's almost impossible to get them talking. My question about the weekend was met with painful silence and uncomfortable looks. Me giving them grammar exercises almost caused tears of joy... And they always ask me which exercises we were going to do that day, because learning English is serious, ja? And talking about their private lives in class? Impossible, their colleagues might learn something about them!!! Oh dear. I once asked one of my students if they ever went out for a pint after work. His reaction was one of almost comical confusion. Why would you want to go out for a pint with a colleague when you can go home? To be fair though, most of my students have to commute to work, travelling for about an hour or more. Smile
artemisia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this depended to an extent on how well they got on and if they worked together in the same dept. in the same company. I also noticed exceptions seemed to be sometimes made with language classes. For example, I had one class of insurance guys. Now that might not sound promising but I had a lot of fun with them; for a start they had some great insurance stories to tell.

Sometimes we went out for drinkies after class and they introduced me to the very best place to get pretzels in the whole city. One time we went to a nearby amusement park where dressed up business-looking people were sitting on these scary looking rides screaming their heads off. It was really quite odd! The insurance guys did their level best to try to get me to go on one of those rides, knowing I�m a wimp about heights. I promised earnestly that if they led the way and got themselves all strapped in, I�d be following close behind. They knew I was lying - pity! Wink

Sometimes things like this would come up in another class (eg., mentioning my introduction to the pretzel place) and I�d find the students would suddenly start looking interested and making a few noises about doing similar things � even classes where I�d not have expected it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: