Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private Health Insurance for Freelancers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannenbr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Private Health Insurance for Freelancers Reply with quote

Hello!

I am currently in Berlin and have everything I need to apply for my work permit -- except for health insurance. So far I've found out that as a freelancer I can only get insured through private health insurance companies. I've looked into insurance at Hanse Merkur but the one option I found costs around 280 Euro/month. I understand that health insurance in Germany is expensive, but this is a bit over the top. The Ausl�nderbeh�rde could not even offer any suggestions as to where I can find health insurance which they accept.

Does anyone know of a private health insurance company (in Berlin specifically) that does not charge more than maybe 200 Euro/month?

Many thanks! Smile
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like saying this, but this has been discussed before.

Since 2009, everyone resident in Germany must have health insurance from a company approved to operate in Germany. This is why travel insurance from elsewhere is usually rejected by the Ausl�nderbeh�rde (foreigners' department) when making any sort of visa application.

I don't know your age or medical details, but �280 sounds right. You really should ask an insurance broker, though, and not just go to one company such as Hanse Merkur directly. There's nothing wrong with doing so, but a broker won't cost any extra and can give advice and details of every insurer.

There are cheaper ways. A company called A La Carte provide health insurance for more like �100 a month. The coverage is more like travel insurance, i.e. not that good if you want to see a German doctor very often. Nevertheless, A La Carte is part of the Germany company Allianz, and I've seen their insurance being accepted at the Ausl�nderbeh�rde. Again, you do need to ask a broker, and for this, have a search on the toytowngermany website.
artemisia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on this page further down:

germany (berlin) insurance for freelancer.
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=84515
dannenbr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Health Insurance for Freelancers Reply with quote

Thank you Hod/artemisia for your help. I apologize that it has been discussed before, but the reason I posted a new thread is because recently there have been some changes in what is considered acceptable health insurance for non-EU citizens. Nursing care is now mandatory and traveler's health insurance from Hanse Merkur (health insurance for up to 1 or 5 years) is no longer acceptable.

I did, however, find a suitable health insurance through ALC Global Health Insurance (http://alchealth.com/) with the help of a health insurance broker. The quarterly fee I was able to choose is around 489 Euro (163 Euro/month) with a 360 Euro deductible.

Here is his information for anyone interested in the future:

John Gunn & Partner
INSURANCE BROKER
Rehrstieg 52
D - 21147 Hamburg

Tel.: +49 (0)40 7666309
Fax.: +49 (0)40 76753301
Mobil: +49 (0)172 9482994

email: [email protected]
web: www.gunn-partner.com

Last edited by dannenbr on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
artemisia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, dannenbr. Thanks for updating the thread. Anyone considering private health insurance in Germany does need to remember that age will be a factor in determining rates. Gender is (or was) too. Women were often charged a higher rate due to possible pregnancy. (I never understood how those private companies could get away with such blatent discrimination. Perhaps this has changed).

dannenbr wrote:
I am currently in Berlin and have everything I need to apply for my work permit

It'd be very helpful if you could keep updating the thread (or start a new one) on your experience of the process: what exactly you were required to produce, how long it takes to process and any particular difficulties you ran into.

The ease of applications will always depend to some extent on who you get processing them but having a broad overview of a recent experience would be useful for others wanting to do the same. Good luck with your application!
ioamosalerno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ALC plan worked for me w/ dental and a 600 euro deductable.... then again I don't live anywhere near Berlin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: