Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie considering move

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roclafacasa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Newbie considering move Reply with quote

Hello All,

As a new member of the forum, I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a bit of advice regarding my prospects for finding work teaching English in Germany. Here is my situation: I�m planning to move to either Berlin, Frankfurt, or Munich this summer with my wife, who is choosing between master�s degree courses in the aforementioned cities. I am a 29 year-old American male with a European Union (Italy) passport. My academic qualifications are: B.A., M.B.A., J.D. (including bar admission), with all degrees from regionally accredited, brick and mortar, U.S. colleges and universities. I am open to taking a CELTA course in Germany if it would help my job search. As for experience, I have spent one year (2006) working in the Czech Republic as a legal proofreader, and recently finished a Fulbright fellowship in Poznan, Poland where I gained some experience teaching English at a state university. I also possess a certain amount of professional experience in business and the practice of law. I would be mostly interested in part time work, and would especially like to teach business English and/or legal English.

Finally, I have investigated the forum going back until 2008 or so, and am pretty in tune with average salaries and the benefits of completing a CELTA course. What I am most interested in, are opinions regarding my overall employability and the availability of part-time vs. full time work. I am also interested in everyone�s opinion regarding the possibilities for teaching business and/or legal English. Finally, any thoughts as to the current state of the job market in Berlin, Frankfurt, or Munich would be especially appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Dan
JN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know the job market for teaching English is overflowing with applicants in Berlin, with better chances elsewhere in Germany. Part-time work is very common and the easiest to get.
Having an EU passport is definitely an asset. You could maybe do proofreading, too. Having your degrees is excellent, as far as teaching English, but judging from what I've read and how difficult it's been for me to get work (with an MATESOL), I would suggest getting a CELTA.
By the way, just because the job market in Berlin is overflowing, doesn't mean you wouldn't get work in Berlin. After all, I do now have work. It is cheaper to live here, too.
Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: