Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAFETY in MEXICO-TIPS & ADVICE!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2086
Location: Dang Cong San Viet Nam Quang Vinh Muon Nam!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Did you look at the cities on the list?
What makes you think there are not people from all over the world in those places? A few years ago it came out that Lincoln, Nebraska was the city with the highest number of foriegn born residents per capita.


Really? I wonder why... Oh yeah, low-skilled, immigrant labor to work in those slaughter houses and packing plants.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2086
Location: Dang Cong San Viet Nam Quang Vinh Muon Nam!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeresaLopez wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:


I think it is also a how-homogeneous-is-your-community kind of thing. If your neighbors all look like you and think like you and go to the same church that you do, then you will be apt to be suspicious of those who are different from you. For example, it's hard to be anti-Semitic (though, of course, some will make the effort!) living in a place like New York City where so many Jews live and where you are apt to have Jewish neighbors or your kids may have Jewish schoolmates.


Right, or even funnier is having someone get to know you, and like you, before they find out you are Jewish, Mexican or whatever. Then what do they do? How do YOU fit into the picture with their preconceived notions about what each group is like?


I grew up in Los Angeles and I saw how some people thought when I started to work and travel. I remember a young redneck guy from Idaho that said he would kill any gay thay happened to set foot in his town...

I coudn't even fathom such thinking, being from Los Angeles. Sure, there are folks that don't like others, but even they must get along with folks from so many diff. backgrounds.

I really liked NYC for the fact that people actually talk to each other there. They have to. Most people take public transit and have to interact with people from every background possible on a daily basis.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Isla Guapa



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 1520
Location: Mexico City o sea La Gran Manzana Mexicana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="MotherF"]
Prof.Gringo wrote:
MotherF wrote:
Did you look at the cities on the list?
What makes you think there are not people from all over the world in those places? A few years ago it came out that Lincoln, Nebraska was the city with the highest number of foriegn born residents per capita.


Really? I wonder why... Oh yeah, low-skilled, immigrant labor to work in those slaughter houses and packing plants.


. . . The low-skilled immigrant labor tends to stick closer to the boarder.

Not any more, MotherF. You can find low-skilled immigrant labor all over the country. For example, in 2008 there was a big scandal when the biggest kosher meat-packing plant in the US, located in the nation's heartland, in Iowa of all places, was discovered to be in violation of all sorts of laws related to the hiring of illegal immigrant workers. Here's a link:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/30/AR2008103004617.html

And on a personal note, the town where I spent most of my youth, Levittown, PA, located many miles from the US/Mexican border, now has quite a few Mexicans living there, and these very nice people are involved in the typical kinds of work that non-university-educated immigrants, legal and otherwise, tend to do: cleaning houses, gardening and construction work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TeresaLopez



Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Posts: 601
Location: Mexico City

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a huge Mexican population in Chicago, and there has been for many years. In the last 10 or 15 years the Mexican community in Milwaukee has also grown quite large. And years ago when I worked a government translating job in the US I spent quite a bit of time in upper Washington state, there were whole small towns that were more than half Mexican, almost entirely, as might be expected, fruit pickers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Isla Guapa



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 1520
Location: Mexico City o sea La Gran Manzana Mexicana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that there are lots of Mexicans and South Americans (mostly from Ecuador, I think) on Long Island, working in construction and as gardeners for the rich gringos who have homes there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2086
Location: Dang Cong San Viet Nam Quang Vinh Muon Nam!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
MotherF wrote:
Did you look at the cities on the list?
What makes you think there are not people from all over the world in those places? A few years ago it came out that Lincoln, Nebraska was the city with the highest number of foriegn born residents per capita.


Really? I wonder why... Oh yeah, low-skilled, immigrant labor to work in those slaughter houses and packing plants.


Not in Lincoln, and they are not latinos. The low-skilled immigrant labor tends to stick closer to the boarder. Places like Los Angeles. Nebraska tends to attract university educated immigrants from all over the world.

BTW Teresa the John Birch Society is a California organization. And I'm sure they sell as many newspapers in New York City as they do in South Carolina.


This post could not be more WRONG!

As other posters have already pointed out that immigrants (most of whom are low-skilled laborers) can be found in all parts of the US. To think that immigrants are only found in places like Los Angeles is absurd. That also seems to imply that all unskilled immigrants are from Mexico, Again, untrue.

You can check out the list of Mexican consulates in the USA to see just what is going on. I remember stopping by the Mexican consulate in Anchorage AK as well as chatting with Latino, African, European and Asian immigrants all over Alaska. Pretty far from the US/Mex border...

I have been to 44 states, I have lived in more than 10 and it's pretty obvious that the word migrant laborer should be the first clue as to the mobility of those searching for work in a new land. Crossing borders and oceans to get to the US in first place, hopping on a plane or a bus to find the best job opportunties should come as no surprise.

Yeah, I remember Omaha has a lot of unskilled immigrants. I had a Somali friend of mine that lived there. I would visit with him while on break from school. I saw lots of Latinos and Africans, Bosnians as well. Pretty much the same mix as in Iowa next door.

Remember Postville IA anybody? Largest immigration raid in US history. A Kosher meat plant was operating in the small town which went from being an almost all-white community to having a sizable Orthodox Jewish community as well as hundreds of (almost all illegal) Central American migrants working in the plant. When the raid went down, that pretty much destroyed the local economy as hundreds of migrants left and the meat plant went bankrupt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2086
Location: Dang Cong San Viet Nam Quang Vinh Muon Nam!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeresaLopez wrote:
There is also a huge Mexican population in Chicago, and there has been for many years. In the last 10 or 15 years the Mexican community in Milwaukee has also grown quite large. And years ago when I worked a government translating job in the US I spent quite a bit of time in upper Washington state, there were whole small towns that were more than half Mexican, almost entirely, as might be expected, fruit pickers.


Yakima, WA. I've been there. A majority of the population is Hispanic, mostly Mexican.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Isla Guapa



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 1520
Location: Mexico City o sea La Gran Manzana Mexicana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember Postville IA anybody? Largest immigration raid in US history. A Kosher meat plant was operating in the small town which went from being an almost all-white community to having a sizable Orthodox Jewish community as well as hundreds of (almost all illegal) Central American migrants working in the plant. When the raid went down, that pretty much destroyed the local economy as hundreds of migrants left and the meat plant went bankrupt.


That's the case I referred to a couple of posts ago. Thanks for filling in the details for us, Prof. Gringo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2086
Location: Dang Cong San Viet Nam Quang Vinh Muon Nam!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Quote:
Remember Postville IA anybody? Largest immigration raid in US history. A Kosher meat plant was operating in the small town which went from being an almost all-white community to having a sizable Orthodox Jewish community as well as hundreds of (almost all illegal) Central American migrants working in the plant. When the raid went down, that pretty much destroyed the local economy as hundreds of migrants left and the meat plant went bankrupt.


That's the case I referred to a couple of posts ago. Thanks for filling in the details for us, Prof. Gringo.


Not a prob!

It was a win-win for the town, more jobs, a bigger tax base, the migrant workers rented out places and spent money at local stores.

Just another example of the urgent need for real immigration reform and a solution to the mess we are (in the US) in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Isla Guapa



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 1520
Location: Mexico City o sea La Gran Manzana Mexicana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
Quote:
Remember Postville IA anybody? Largest immigration raid in US history. A Kosher meat plant was operating in the small town which went from being an almost all-white community to having a sizable Orthodox Jewish community as well as hundreds of (almost all illegal) Central American migrants working in the plant. When the raid went down, that pretty much destroyed the local economy as hundreds of migrants left and the meat plant went bankrupt.


That's the case I referred to a couple of posts ago. Thanks for filling in the details for us, Prof. Gringo.


Not a prob!

It was a win-win for the town, more jobs, a bigger tax base, the migrant workers rented out places and spent money at local stores.

Just another example of the urgent need for real immigration reform and a solution to the mess we are (in the US) in.


It was not a win-win for some of the workers at the plant:

The Rubashkins and other company officials were charged Sept. 9 with more than 9,000 misdemeanor violations of state child labor laws over an eight-month period ending with the May 12 raid. The charges involved 32 minors, some younger than 16, who allegedly were exposed to dangerous chemicals and were operating meat grinders, circular saws and other heavy machinery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2086
Location: Dang Cong San Viet Nam Quang Vinh Muon Nam!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
Quote:
Remember Postville IA anybody? Largest immigration raid in US history. A Kosher meat plant was operating in the small town which went from being an almost all-white community to having a sizable Orthodox Jewish community as well as hundreds of (almost all illegal) Central American migrants working in the plant. When the raid went down, that pretty much destroyed the local economy as hundreds of migrants left and the meat plant went bankrupt.


That's the case I referred to a couple of posts ago. Thanks for filling in the details for us, Prof. Gringo.


Not a prob!

It was a win-win for the town, more jobs, a bigger tax base, the migrant workers rented out places and spent money at local stores.

Just another example of the urgent need for real immigration reform and a solution to the mess we are (in the US) in.


It was not a win-win for some of the workers at the plant:

The Rubashkins and other company officials were charged Sept. 9 with more than 9,000 misdemeanor violations of state child labor laws over an eight-month period ending with the May 12 raid. The charges involved 32 minors, some younger than 16, who allegedly were exposed to dangerous chemicals and were operating meat grinders, circular saws and other heavy machinery.


OK, sorry I painted too nice of a picture in my previous post. Of course that is the dark side to illegal/undocumented immigration/labor. The migrants are often abused and used. Human smugglers have little regard for human life. Children are used as labor. Real wages are depressed. All very real and bad results of undocumented migration. And of course this is an issue all over the world, not just between Mexico and the USA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheFonz



Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Mis dos centavos Reply with quote

While I am an absolute newbie within the world of TEFL, I DO have some experience of living and working in Mexico, so I will share a tip I know to be true from personal experience: as is the case all around the world, ain't nothing FREE / de gratis, so if someone approaches you with an offering of a free product, you are likely being targeted.

I spent a spring break season working for STS in Cancun, serving as an on-site rep for kids on vacation. Late one evening, leaving a club, clearly intoxicated (ALSO A HUGE BULLSEYE), I had a teen come up to me and the two girls I was with offering a "free bracelet", the type which children usually sell for $1. It happened EXTREMELY quickly, but I knew something untoward was going down because there is ZERO reason anyone would want to give a tourist something for free. I grabbed the perp's hand as he was tying the bracelet on my female companion's wrist, turned it over, and found her gold watch in his hand, all within a matter of seconds. Fortunately, as inebriated as I was, I still had enough wits about me to catch this ladron in the act and hail a police officer and watch them chase him down. This took place 15 yards into an alley from the main plaza (where the Hard-Rock Cafe is, leaving Daddy Rock), so the would-be thief was brazen enough to try the theft in a very public place, which ultimately led to his demise (though it played out EXTREMELY well for me as she was GRATEFUL... Wink

So, that's my two cents - I leave for Playa Del Carmen in 10 days to start my CELTA at IH and I cannot wait!!! Hope to meet some awesome people there - let me know if you will be in the area!

Alex
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2086
Location: Dang Cong San Viet Nam Quang Vinh Muon Nam!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an alarming and dangerous trend in both Mexico DF and Mexico State (can't comment on other areas).



Armed bands of 2-3 men board public transportation and proceed to rob all the passengers of their wallets, watches, cell phones, jewelry etc.



These robberies can take place at ANY time on-board ANY form of public transport including chicken buses, paseros, combi's, etc.



These attacks have been occurring with greater frequency and they can happen morning, afternoon, or night. Weekday or weekend.



Exercise caution when using public transport: Avoid wearing jewelry or watches. Hide cell phones. Remember the golden rule of living in Mexico: NEVER leave the house (hotel, apartment etc) with anything you are not willing to lose. Leave all important docs, passports, credit/ATM cards at HOME!


STAY SAFE!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
silvery



Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found much helpful information here and elsewhere in the forum. Thank you.

Having lived as an expat (in Asian countries) for several years, I am familiar with disagreements about the safety level as perceived by home governments issuing warnings and some expats living in the countries affected. However, it would seem all agree that not all of Mexico's as safe as it used to be Confused .

What I'd like to ask, as someone considering Mexico as a possible next place of residence and work, is which places/areas you would recommend?

I am an experienced, qualified teacher in my early fifties. Work considerations will most likely dictate one of the following locations:

Chihuahua, Colima, Cuernavara, Culiacan, Guadalajara, Merida, Mexicali, Monterrey, Puebla, Queretano, Riviera Maya, Toluca or Veracruz.

Any thoughts?

P.S. While I asked for recommendations, I guess it would also be useful to know which of the above you'd eliminate outright, too Smile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2086
Location: Dang Cong San Viet Nam Quang Vinh Muon Nam!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvery wrote:
I've found much helpful information here and elsewhere in the forum. Thank you.

Having lived as an expat (in Asian countries) for several years, I am familiar with disagreements about the safety level as perceived by home governments issuing warnings and some expats living in the countries affected. However, it would seem all agree that not all of Mexico's as safe as it used to be Confused .

What I'd like to ask, as someone considering Mexico as a possible next place of residence and work, is which places/areas you would recommend?

I am an experienced, qualified teacher in my early fifties. Work considerations will most likely dictate one of the following locations:

Chihuahua, Colima, Cuernavara, Culiacan, Guadalajara, Merida, Mexicali, Monterrey, Puebla, Queretano, Riviera Maya, Toluca or Veracruz.

Any thoughts?

P.S. While I asked for recommendations, I guess it would also be useful to know which of the above you'd eliminate outright, too Smile.


The places you have listed are varied and not sure how you came up with them (as you state "work considerations").

I would steer well clear of Chihuahua, Culiacan, and Monterrey as the drug war is in full swing in those areas with daily gun battles.

Mexicali is right on the US border and very HOT! Well over 100 degrees is common even 110-115 isn't uncommon. Not sure about drug war violence. San Diego is nearby as well as Ensenada which are very nice places.

Queretaro is only 2 and half to 3 hours from Mex City. It's an industrial city with a colonial flair. Clean, mostly quiet, kinda boring.

Puebla is also quiet, a colonial city. And Toluca is the capital of Mexico State, close to Mexico City, colder climate, an industrial city, but with it's pluses.

Cuenavaca has a nice climate, and lot's of Spanish schools, and I've heard a bad market for EFL.

If you have any other comments or questions feel free to ask.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC