Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAFETY in MEXICO-TIPS & ADVICE!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amaranto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of good advice here. I especially agree that it's most important to be aware of your surroundings and watch out for cars!

I have used traveller's checks (in Cuernavaca), but I found it to be inconvenient. I usually try to go to the ATM accompanied by a friend, but this is not always possible, and it doesn't ensure you won't be robbed by someone with a weapon. I try to take the cash I need on me and not carry around debit cards too much. That way I won't lose too much if I get robbed and won't spend in excess Smile

In my experience, the way people dress here (Mexico City) depends more on their age and what part of the city they live in. While people in their late 30s and up may dress more conservatively on average, all you have to do is get on the metro on a Sunday to see all kinds of styles from all different parts of the city. My friends (all Mexicans) and I dress pretty urban--not at all conservative; we are in our 20s-early 30s.

I've never been in a restaurant bathroom that didn't have soap, and I've eaten out a lot. Just take some antibacterial gel with you if you're worried about this.
donato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to repeat what others said about the cars and BUSES. I personally know a guy who was hit by a bus while riding his bike in Guadalajara and he broke his femur. I also dated a girl whose dad was killed by a bus in Mexico City. Always look out. If the light is red don't assume the car will stop. And never assume there is a stop sign to begin with.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Food Safety & Sanitation is lacking Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
One, what makes you think the cooks used the same sink as you do?
Two, they very well may carrry their own soap like many locals do.
Three, there may have been soap in the bathroom but you were not equipped to see it.

What do I mean by that last one? I've been out with a group of colleages who reported that there was no soap in the bathroom. I went back there and there a bag of powdered detergent--the type referred to as fad--under the sink. That's what you are supposed to use to wash your hands with. That's what all the locals do.

I do carry alcohol in gel with me (not the antibatirial stuff, just alcohol in gel) but mostly use that only when there is no water, which is often from Feb-June is this part of the country.

First, I was offering basic advice. What people might take for granted back home doesn't always apply here. I have seen meat delivered in unrefrigerated trucks, with flies all over, being handled by men with no gloves and then sold in open air market stalls with no refrigeration and in some very unsanitary conditions. Confused

Second, I am no newbie to either TEFL or Mexico, six long years here doing both. Surprised Cool

Third, I have watched countless numbers of cooks, waiters, dishwashers etc. use the same bathroom as the customers. Many of the smaller, so-called "mom & pop" places barely have a functioning restroom, let alone separate ones for customers and employees. Question

Fourth, I know all about using the powder soap. Wink

Fifth, I am certified in food sanitation and safety, both as a food service manager and on the production side. I am more than qualified to make a judgment about the sanitation of any given food-service establishment. Razz
notamiss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donato wrote:
Just want to repeat what others said about the cars and BUSES. I personally know a guy who was hit by a bus while riding his bike in Guadalajara and he broke his femur. I also dated a girl whose dad was killed by a bus in Mexico City. Always look out. If the light is red don't assume the car will stop. And never assume there is a stop sign to begin with.

Also: Whether you are a pedestrian, bicycle rider, or driver, always look both ways and be prepared for traffic in either direction. Don't assume it's only going one way just because it's a one-way street or a divided avenue.
Enigma2011

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donato wrote:

4. Tell everyone you're from Arizona and the U.S.A. is #1.

The U.S.A. IS #1!! Twisted Evil
Enigma2011

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donato wrote:

4. Tell everyone you're from Arizona and the U.S.A. is #1.

Mexico is a close second. Laughing
Enigma2011

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Food Safety & Sanitation is lacking Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
I have seen meat delivered in unrefrigerated trucks, with flies all over, being handled by men with no gloves and then sold in open air market stalls with no refrigeration and in some very unsanitary conditions. Confused

That would ruin ones afternoon teaching class. That's just nasty. No excuse for that. Mr. Green
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For women: Either a dress or skirt below the knee or pants (preferred if you don't want extra Wink attention) and a blouse/shirt with sleeves of some kind.

It's been quite a while since I've worn a dress or skirt above the knees, but I certainly see younger women wearing them (though perhaps not way above the knees) without getting undue attention, In hot weather, women of all ages can be seen wearing sleeveless tops, including myself. This is in Mexico City, by the way.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I offered advice based on a total newbie to Mexico, better too conservative than not enough.

And women that wear skirts do get extra attention, esp. if it's above the knees, I like seeing how men get whiplash whenever a short skirt passes by Shocked

A foreign women is likely to be the source of extra "attention" to begin with.

Case in point: I studied Spanish at UNAM last year and there was a young Canadian woman in my class, about 19. She would wear short skirts and sleeveless blouses. When she was on the street cars would honk, stop in the street, whatever. When she crossed, they would screech to a stop so they could get a better view Embarassed
amaranto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Case in point: I studied Spanish at UNAM last year and there was a young Canadian woman in my class, about 19. She would wear short skirts and sleeveless blouses. When she was on the street cars would honk, stop in the street, whatever. ...

Yeah, I've seen quite a bit of this. I recently picked up a very blond friend from the airport and took the metro back to my place. A guy sitting beside us stared at her for 15 minutes. He would only look away when I gave him nasty looks. Sometimes I wonder what the hell is going on with some of the men here.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaranto wrote:
Quote:
Case in point: I studied Spanish at UNAM last year and there was a young Canadian woman in my class, about 19. She would wear short skirts and sleeveless blouses. When she was on the street cars would honk, stop in the street, whatever. ...

Yeah, I've seen quite a bit of this. I recently picked up a very blond friend from the airport and took the metro back to my place. A guy sitting beside us stared at her for 15 minutes. He would only look away when I gave him nasty looks. Sometimes I wonder what the hell is going on with some of the men here.

It's just plain disgusting Evil or Very Mad

In the US, looking at a woman without getting caught is an art. Men like to look, of course we do Wink

But I don't make it obvious. Here, it's the 180 degree polar opposite. Men stare like they have been in a prison for 20 years. Even novios and husbands with their novias and wives stare. Absolutely no shame.

Again, my advice would be to any woman, esp. if you're white, black, Asian or pretty much anything outside of the Mexican "norm", when first coming to Mexico, dress conservative. Be prepared for a very macho, sexist society.

Things have changed in some areas in the past 20 years. Women now have careers. But the Metro still features segregated cars at rush car, and female-only public buses have been introduced in the DF.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when I was in my twenties and living time in Mexico for extended periods of time, I never got much of the annoying (and at times disgusting) attention from some idiotic Mexican men that several posters have mentioned in this thread. It could be because I am short and, before my hair turned gray, I was not a blonde. Also I quickly learned not to look at people (especially men) when I was out in public and not to smile indiscriminately in all directions, as some of my friends (especially the ones from California Rolling Eyes ) tended to do. Now that I'm older (a lot older Wink ), I do get the occasional glance from older men in the street, even when I'm dressed in jeans and a baggy top, but nothing to get upset about.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Also I quickly learned not to look at people (especially men) when I was out in public and not to smile indiscriminately in all directions, as some of my friends (especially the ones from California Rolling Eyes ) tended to do.

In the provence, I've found the opposite approach the best tactic to stave off inappropriate attention. Here the sidewalks are narrow and not so busy as in many parts of the big city. So when I'm about to walk by a man or group of men, and woman too why not--I make eye contact and shoot off my most polite buenas dias/tardes/noches. That obliges them to respond in same.

I do perfer to error on the conservative side of dress. When I first came down I brought some short sleeve-less sun dresses with me, but found I felt over exposed when wearing them so newer additions to my wardrobe have all been less revealing. Also, as I live in a place with a hot and dry climate most of the year, it's actually cooler if you skin is covered by a loose layer of light airy material rather than exposed to the sun. I know in the humid coastal regions that is not the case.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My not-looking-at-strange-men-in-public strategy was a tactic I used many years ago when I was young and vulnerable to stares from certain types of men. Now I don't give a d--n and, at least in my neighborhood, say hello to people I run into on the street, even if I don't know them.
donato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been in Mexico 7 months or so. Stereotypes happen fast, and at this point it sounds bad, but my impressions about relationships is that Mexican women are about 1,000 times better than American women, and Mexican men are about 1,000 times worse than American men...

luckily for me I like women...it just seems like guys here are the scum of the Earth sometimes...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: