Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Campeche food and travel costs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Campeche food and travel costs? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am thinking about Campeche and would like to know the costs for food there. I know it's famous for seafood, but how much are meals in a standard, non-tourist restaurant? Sorry to be vague but I don't eat meat and so I am curious about fish dishes there; of course veggie only dishes will be affordable. I speak Spanish so I would steer free of the hotels and gringo-pricing. I would like to kick back there and explore, with an eye on maybe returning as a teacher if things in my current school district continue heading south. Sad

There isn't a lot of info out there about Campeche costs, just architecture and overall POV, so I thought I'd try here, since Dave's has been so useful to me over the years. Thanks in advance!

Jaime
periodista-masajista

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post is almost a year old, but just in case you're still wondering...

Food in Campeche restaurants is pretty cheap, for the most part. There are some very overpriced places in el centro but even in el centro there are some good bargains. Everything on the zocalo is high, of course, even the casual spots, but you're paying to eat on the zocalo.

Expect options to be limited if you're a true vegetarian, but if you're a pescavore (one who eats fish/mariscos but no land animals) you'll be fine.

Most people seem to enjoy La Parroquia, just off the zocalo, a cheerful spot that's open all hours (unusual for Campeche.) Not as dirt-cheap as some random taqueria on the outskirts of town, but reasonable and pretty consistent.

My favorite Campechano dining experience? Pan de cazon from a pescaderia...fresh cazon between steam-heated corn tortillas...topped with a mild tomato sauce, a dollop of sour cream and a roasted chile habanero or two on the side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: