Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qatar Aeronautical College

View previous topic :: View next topic  
also in saudi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Qatar Aeronautical College Reply with quote

Would anyone know the approximate salary range for a math or physics teacher at QAC? What is the package (accommodation, tickets, medical, etc)?
Also living and classroom conditions? Thank you.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know English teachers make around 10 - 11,000 QR. The last director resigned so I have no idea about the new one. Maybe they have given them a pay rise. I was contracted here years ago when I worked for a guy named Malachy who ran the language program. The accomodation isn't too bad - at least the one I last visited down in Najma near the second-hand/carpentry souk. It was a decently furnished two bedroom with a balcony. I worked for the Gulag at QP and we had dark windowless apartments in Musheirib (the bedrooms had windows but the living rooms didn't). The apartments were about a fifteen minute drive from the college which is behind the airport, not too far from the Doha Marriott Hotel. Long term plans include a move to Al Khor near the Qatar Leadership Academy. I don't know if this is still in the pipeline or on hold. I supposed you'd better contact them. Most of the people who work there didn't mind the place. The students are either very low level types who want to be airplane technicians or brighter types who want to be pilots. Both groups need intensive language training. What is nice about the place is the fact that there are quite a few different nationalities which makes it more interesting than working for QP. There are also some female students.

http://www.qac.edu.qa/
also in saudi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your response.

What is housing like on the QAC campus ? how is the restaurant ?
paperback

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also in saudi wrote:
thank you for your response.

What is housing like on the QAC campus ? how is the restaurant ?

There is not campus. The college is behind the airport, not too far from the Marriott Hotel. It is going to be torn down sooner or later. It is not a campus, just a building with a parking lot. The advantage is it's near the airport. The new campus is supposed to be built in Al Khor near the Al Khor airstrip. I've heard said it will share the airstrip with the new airforce college but so far this is just speculation. The Leadership Academy (The West Point of Qatar) is in Al Khor so maybe they will be using the same airstrip. Nobody has any confirmed information on this as they are told one thing one day and another the next.

Restaurant??? Are you kidding?
lollaerd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all of Malachy's recruits, I worked here as well as at the Gulag. At one point he managed both outfits from the compound way down on D-Rring road. Remember those days? Good times and good company.

This was one of the best places I ever worked in. The real problem is the low salaries like everyone says. If they brought the salaries up to market value, more people might stay. The students were nice, a mix of nationals and others. A place with good memories for me.
also in saudi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

HoD said:

Housing separate your own, but you have partners in the building within the college and there is a restaurant provides 3 meals a day free of charge

To what is he referring?
paperback

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also in saudi wrote:
Thank you.

HoD said:

Housing separate your own, but you have partners in the building within the college and there is a restaurant provides 3 meals a day free of charge

To what is he referring?

Are you sure? It sounds like you are talking about Qatar Leadership Academy ( part of Qatar Foundation) in Al Khor where the students live in residence. They have a mess which teachers can eat their meals at. Some teachers live on the campus, some live in Education City Housing on in Bani Al Hajr. Check which place you've applied to. Three meals a day are not provided at the the A.C. Make sure where you are applying to. They are also expanding their program and will somehow amalgamate with the AC in future, at least as far as the airstrip is concerned and maybe other facilities.
also in saudi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Definitely QAC.

HoD also wrote:

Housing at the college is best for you in the beginning with 3 free meals daily in a restaurant, housing is good in college ... city center close to the college.
paperback

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also in saudi wrote:
Thank you.

Definitely QAC.

HoD also wrote:

Housing at the college is best for you in the beginning with 3 free meals daily in a restaurant, housing is good in college ... city center close to the college.

Well good for you. There is a canteen or at least there was in my day. Maybe it['s now a restaurant. Are you being offered accomodation in the student hostel? There are quite a few foreign students from around the Gulf who live in a residence. Maybe that's where they are going to put you. The staff apartment block I know (even has balconies) is near the old second hand souk, not too far from Dasman Supermarket. Handy to a lot of things, including the college. From what you say, it sounds like you're going to be put in the student residence.
lollaerd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improvements afoot. They have supposedly hired a new director for the English Unit who is known for his great people skills and experience. It looks like Malachy's old haunt is going up in the world. Good luck to this guy! Maybe he can wangle a pay rise for the teachers - the salary is low but people stay on because it is a fairly hassle-free work environment with no evaluation garbage, etc.
also in saudi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The administration consists mostly of Indians and a couple of Qataris. Few are competent in English. Most Qatari students are poor and unmotivated.
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: What happened to.... Reply with quote

Don't tell me Ivan's gone Sad
Desert_Dweller

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: