Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banking in Costa Rica

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ButterflyAngie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Banking in Costa Rica Reply with quote

I have a question on banking. I live in the U.S. now. I am planning to go live in CR next year, I have money saved up so that I can dip into savings while teaching English for travel, etc. Should I plan to open up an account in Costa Rica? Is that even possible? Or should I keep my American bank? I have used Wachovia (which is now Wells Fargo) for a couple years now, and in the past when I've traveled, I had problems with them cutting me off, even after both times I traveled I called and told them I was going to be in x country for a week. (So basically after a trip to the ATM, they cut me off, alarmed that there was a withdrawal in Central/South America).

Do you guys typically just keep your American accounts when you leave?
jprimm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not do both. I did. I kept my U.S. account and opened an account here.
dhsampso

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Wachovia as well and used it without problems when I lived in CR for a year, 2009-2010. I called them up and told them I would be abroad for a year or so and no problems. ATM fees normally run $5 per transaction, so I recommend using your credit card for things like grocery shopping. The charge on that is in the cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: