Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any hope for a middle-aged Asian-American?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daryl69

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Any hope for a middle-aged Asian-American? Reply with quote

Hi there

Just my 10 won worth Captain_Fil. I have lived and worked in South Korea for over 3 years. During that time I have worked with and known a large number of Asian-American & Asian-Canadian men and women who have no problems finding work over here (including those of Filipino descent). Try the EPIK program (just Google it) for a start rather than entering the hagwon (private academy) mill, where they are more likely to want, and pay more for blonde, blue eyed teachers.

You will need to submit a photo, if nothing else, for visa purposes, and as long as you look sane and professional, you will be fine.

It is better if you come to Korea (or wherever you choose) with a recognized TEFL certificate of 100+ hours (like a CELTA). This will help you get a better job. I started with EPIK as an elementary school teacher with a Korean co-teacher. After 2 years I scored a university job.

Yes there is racism, but I haven't noticed any really serious stuff here. I am from New Zealand and had to adopt a more "American-sounding" accent as my students had trouble understanding my New Zealand vowels etc. Par for the course. So in some ways you have a big advantage.

An open mind, a ready smile, and a willingness to deal with seemingly illogical decisions (often made at short notice without consultation) will go a long way whether you are in Korea, Japan, Taiwan (better paid), China, Thailand (less well paid), and with more experience and maybe even a Masters degree down the track, the more lucrative Middle-East...

I made the decision to come over to Korea in my late, late 30's (I'm now 42) and have never regretted it. I love getting up and going to work every day, the students are generally great and I love my career choice. So go for it : )
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Daryl.

You've given me great hope for a new career.

I will go for it.

Thanks.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: