Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNAQ latest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the song and dance drama continues. At least they've had their contract renewed for another 5 years or whatever. The one thing I do know is that a lot of Gulag students were sent to CNAQ for English classes. They did a much better job of upgrading the students than we were able to do at the Gulag. Maybe because of the better facilities and better system. I've spoken to a few of my old Gulag students who had a very positive learning experience at this college. The students also said they had some excellent teachers, not forgetting to add that some of the Gulag teachers were pretty good, too. I don't think they were buttering us up. I met up with these guys at Souk Waqf - a very nice place to hang out on a Friday night! Qatar has vastly improve its cultural scene.
My former Gulag students also spoke much better English and a couple of them are now full-time employees at QP - so way to go guys!! and Kudos to CNQA for the language upgrade!
kellygreen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contract with the State has been renewed? If true, no one at CNAQ has been informed, but then, despite communication be a priority strategic initiative, it seems to on the decline rather than improving. So perhaps W knows more than the rest of us.

I wouldn't be surprised.
kellygreen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3489 (or thereabouts in dog years) and still no word on whether the contract with the State will be renewed. All faculties are short staffed and will be more so come the next semester. Sad, as the students are those who will suffer for these circumstances.

People are leaving here because of the uncertainty. People are deciding against taking up employment here because contract offers are constrained by the lack of any hope or expectation of a contract being signed anytime soon (currently contracts are only offered until July 2013 - which is when the current State contract ends and of course it is impossible to offer any longer employment - or any other kind of contract - beyond that date).

Between the CNA Qatar Project office; the real power behind the throne, the NL Dept of Education; or anyone in any managerial or a leadership position in Qatar - nothing substantive appears to have been accomplished either positively or negatively.

These issues coupled with a public (and unforgivable in a North American labour/legal context) HR gaff in the last few weeks have further eroded confidence.

Effective communication on nearly every level remains elusive - the good news is for the NL taxpayer is that they're not footing the bill for any of this.
edited for noun/verb agreement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: