Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distance degrees aren't recognised
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris_Crossley

Location: Still in the centre of Furnace City, PRC, after eight years!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Distance degrees aren't recognised Reply with quote

I wrote:
Quote:
As for the recognition (or lack thereof) of distance degrees in countries outside the one where the degree was granted, there are, for sure, a lot of countries where they are recognised, so there seems little point in tearing one's hair out (proverbially) over the refusal of some countries (or at least institutions within countries) to recognise them. Simply go and find a job at those institutions which DO recognise them! There must be plenty of them around!

Rice Paddy Daddy wrote:
Quote:
Taiwan is another country which does not recognize degrees obtained by distance (see Taiwan forum for more on this subject and Scott Sommers interpretation of the situation in Taiwan).

I have read the above thread and the one in the teacher training forum entitled "Useless Distance M.A." They are quite eye-opening.

Nevertheless, what I quote above based upon my previous posting still stands - at least for me personally. There must be plenty of other countries in the world which do recognise distance master's degrees now, so, if I were to teach in another foreign country (besides China), I'd probably look for a country whose ministries of education regard those degrees more favourably.

Rice Paddy Daddy wrote:
Quote:
Those who are in authority to draft policies that exclude degrees obtained by distance have no experience with this style of learning and are actually not supportive of it.

People are loath to change ideas of any kind, and I imagine that the acceptance of distance degrees is shockingly low or else non-existent in those countries where the concept of distance learning is totally alien and unimaginable.

Rice Paddy Daddy wrote:
Quote:
Crossley

Did you go to a public school in England by any chance, "Daddy"? (Tophole, what!)
Pat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: distance degrees Reply with quote

to be precise, the ministry of higher educ and research may still accept them. Check with the institution. When I left the HCT in July 2004, distance MAs for South Queensland were accepted, even promoted.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kia wrote:
UAE aside, is there another country that finds DISTANCE-ED MA's offensive?

also, without an official 4 year bachelors, is there 1 MA (TEFL) program out there (if more) that accepts experience AND post-secondary education in general as all that they need for admission?

As to your first question, earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that Kuwait University does not accept them, but I have no direct verification of that fact. All universities in the UAE accept them, it is just the lower level schools that do not. (seems odd, doesn't it)

As to your second question, I'm not sure that this is not a question for the general discussion board rather than the ME boards. It sounds like something that universities make their own rules. I know that few, if any, American universities would admit someone to an MA program without a recognized BA. I couldn't speak for the UK or NZ or Australia.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: