Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flights home...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Flights home... Reply with quote

Even though the HCT is infested with Canadians I haven't found out a good way to secure a ticket back "home" for the summer.

Do I just walk in any little travel agent?
Do I need to book well in advance (IE: now)?
Can I book on-line at a reasonable rate?

I'm a big boy and can figure it out eventually, but I woke up this morning thinking about it and thought of this place as a wealth of information.

Cheers.
megs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Emirates Holidays on Sheikh Zayed or you can go online and book through any of the airlines. You can also try to book through www.mytravelchannel.com. I did this in February and got a flight to the States for under 4000 dhs which was over 500 dhs less than anywhere else I had looked. If you book through this site, you should receive a call within 48 hours to confirm and then you will have to go to Emirates Holidays and pick up your ticket at the BTA counter.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the procedure these days at HCT? Most colleges I worked for through the years did the reservations and you had various levels of freedom to change these flights, but no chance to get more money other than the cheapest set of crappy connections that they could come up with. (I hear that some places have just gone to giving people the amount of money for the cheapest fare and let them try to do it... better actually)

So, check with those fellow Canadian teachers and see what they do (and find out which travel agencies they use - if any - and which airlines...). Make the reservations ASAP (in fact, you are late!!) as the fact that everyone leaves at once after the schools are out makes connections difficult for obscure North American destinations. Mine were particularly difficult and I used to make my reservations in February. It was the only way to avoid having 3 or 4 layovers of more than 5 hours each. The flights are gawdawful long enough without spending 15-20 hours waiting in airports full of screaming children. (a detail I remind myself about whenever I feel that I am missing the ME classrooms... Laughing)

VS
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
What is the procedure these days at HCT? Most colleges I worked for through the years did the reservations and you had various levels of freedom to change these flights, but no chance to get more money other than the cheapest set of crappy connections that they could come up with.
VS

HCT actually gives us the Emirates rate which is the most expensive (cash instead of tickets.) If you want them to get your tickets they will, but generally you can book your tickets for slightly less and make a few durham...(Pay for a meal or something) Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds sensible... gets rid of the hassle and the complaining. (hassle for them dealing with the tickets and not having to hear the teachers complain...) Cool

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: