Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brit looking for ESL work in Perth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crabstix1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Brit looking for ESL work in Perth Reply with quote

Hi. I am a 34 year old Brit looking for work in Perth teaching ESL. I have a bachelor's degree, a 1 month TEFL certificate, 10 years ESL teaching experience in Thailand and 2 years in South Korea. I am still in South Korea now but I don't have an MA or a qualification to be a teacher back in my own country. Would it be possible for me to get work in a language school in Perth?
Insubordination

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in Perth but..... Yes, you could get a job with your background. The only concern is that the industry has experienced a 25% drop in Australia over the past year, so there is a lot more competition for positions. However, many Brits on WHVisas are hired all the time.

Search for a website called ELICOS and another one called English Australia and find the WA section for more info. Maybe another poster from Perth can help on specifics.
Minny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Perth and found it difficult getting a job back home from overseas. As soon as I got home though that was a different situation.

I was lucky I went back home before St Marks collapsed it has made it more difficult as more than an extra 20 teachers went on the market over night. (This was over 6 months ago now and may have settled down.)

There are only a handful of schools in Perth:

Cambridge International College (worked here for 1yr, recommend it.)
Kaplan
Language Links
ACE
Embassy
Kingston
Milner
Phoenix
PICE
All the Universities have languages schools attached also.

The drop in the need for teachers has seen most of them taken of the skilled immigrants list this includes ESL teachers, meaning if you can't legally work in Australia at the moment you can't get sponsered by a school for a visa.

You need to be under 31 for a WHVisa and yes with this visa you can work in a private language school.

Having said all that I think the demand is still there although not as strong so it may just take a little longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: