Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Council Singapore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Noodles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: British Council Singapore Reply with quote

Has anyone worked for the British Council in Singapore? I'm currently looking for BC jobs and was considering Singapore as an option. I've read a lot on this forum about 'scum bag' language schools. Does BC fall under this category as well?

Also, If anyone has worked or knows of anyone who has worked for BC, is the compensation package any good? I know there is usually a 4 to 10 point pay scale so does anyone know what the minimum to maximum pay might be?

Cheers,

Noodles
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know 3 people who have worked there (two still there). There are several branches, so they hire regularly. They're a serious bunch, very qualified people there.

Only 18 hour contracts unless you have a DELTA, and maybe 23 hours with one. Pay is good, but the cost of flats there is mad. Most teachers rent a nice condo, but split the bill between 2 people.

That for me is a big downside. I don't want a room mate, but I don't want to spend most of my dosh on a flat and thereby sacrifice all my savings potential.
The Noodles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good. I like the fact that they're a 'Serious Bunch'. To be honest, I get the feeling that BC is. I'm working my way through my diploma now and looking for options. I think I may start applying to BC, if not Singapore then somewhere else. It looks like they run a lot of side projects as well as teaching so it could be a really good place to develop myself further.

Thanks for your reply. Smile
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they're quite keen on CPD and pay for many of their staff in Singapore to do the Trinity Dip. TESOL in Auckland (flights, hotel, course fees, the works). That's another big plus. If only getting a place in Singapore weren't so expensive I would probably be there right now.
Knaved

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are currently advertising for teachers at the Council with a view to a May 2012 start date.

Salary on offer is $4500-$5000 pcm. One single flight to Singapore is offered but no other benefits.

Isn't $4500 approximately what is on offer at branches of ICR? I would have thought the BC would pay more! Maybe times are changing.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: British Council Reply with quote

Check out the hours between BC and ICR. See what difference there
is in the hours of total weekly work. How many days a week does BC work?

ICR used to work 6 days a week. That is correct . . . . one day off a week. Not very good for working the weekend and at night and on call when I was there.

Krakatoa.
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knaved wrote:
They are currently advertising for teachers at the Council with a view to a May 2012 start date.

Salary on offer is $4500-$5000 pcm. One single flight to Singapore is offered but no other benefits.

Isn't $4500 approximately what is on offer at branches of ICR? I would have thought the BC would pay more! Maybe times are changing.

That's exactly what I thought Knaved. Whilst the BC no doubt offers a better quality of life than somewhere like ICR, I still thought their salary would be more competitive.

This makes me wonder what somewhere like Lorna Whiston pays when they require a PGCE or equivalent. It should be sustantially more than the BC or ICR, but I'm inclined to think that it won't be.
Spring88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorna Whiston offers S$3500 + S$650 housing allowance for the first 4 months and then up the housing allowance to S$1000 after that...
They had job openings last month and that's what the advert stated. I know nothing more. Also trying to find out more because I want to apply at the Lorna Whiston Speech and Drama centre in Singapore.

Anyone know someone who has worked there or currently is working there?

any tips would be appreciated

Smile Smile
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Spring.

So, Lorna Whiston basically pays the same as ICR, even though they require a PGCE, and the job's subject to the same crappy language school hours. I can only guess that the qualified teachers who are working there are doing so as they can't find anything better.

Incidentally, I don't think SG$4500 per month is a bad salary (I'd work for that), but I'm just surprised that there's so little disparity in wages between ICR, the BC and Lorna Whiston despite the latter two requiring more qualifications and/or experience than the former.
SydGirl2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: British Council Singapore Reply with quote

I worked for ICR and although the pay was OK, the hours (afternoons/evenings and all day Saturday and Sunday) were less than ideal if you wanted a social life. I also looked into Lorna Whiston and Morris Allen and they had more holidays than ICR which could be a deal breaker.
SiThep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, do you need to be British to work at the British Council in Singapore?
The Noodles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may depends on the position, but I believe the overwhelming majority of non local staff in centers are British.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: