Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BA and MA in English Literature, from the UK. My chances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: BA and MA in English Literature, from the UK. My chances? Reply with quote

Hola Amigos,

I am currently doing an MA in English Lit. My course finishes in May, and I intend to teach english in South/Latin America. Colombia sounds ideal; the more I know, the more I like!

It seems I could find basic work pretty easily, but I'd like to explore my options. I will do a CELTA, but it does seems expensive. Would I need a Tefl/CELTA to get a job? I have done some volunteer teaching with refugees here in the UK.

How about University work, or International Schools? Would I need to have a PGCE or MA in Tefl, or lots of experience? I'd love to work for the British Council or IH as well.

Thanks for reading.
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your qualifications are irrelevant for ESL. You might be able to pick up some part time university work in Colombia and network yourself into a full time gig.
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you. But how about the Celta/tefl/tesol. Is that necessary in order to pick up work?
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CELTA would definitely help your chances. If you get lucky, you'll be able to work your way into a full time uni position after a year of teaching and networking post-CELTA.
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do want a CELTA, as I know how important it is for a career in ESL. Would you recommend a particular course/venue?

Also, how would a CELTA from L.American be viewed in other places (Korea, M.east etc.)
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CELTA is the same no matter where you take it. If you want to work in Colombia, you can do it at International House or the British Council. IH will be $500 cheaper so may as well do it with them.
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was looking at the IH website last week. Is the British Council course better, or just more expensive?

Do both offer assistance with getting a job? If so, which has the better jobs and prospects?

I reckon I will do a CELTA, as I know that it helps so much to do the job -- better for teacher and pupils.
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not sure what you want to do, it's worth a try to come down here and just find a temporary job at an institute. It will give you a chance to learn the city (I'm referring to Bogota, but obviously there are other chances), see how you like teaching, and make some connections. I'm working down here now and I can say that I have lots of contacts now that didn't exist for me three months ago. If you speak fluent English, somebody will hire you. If you have a CELTA, you may be able to get a better job, but not necessarily. Many places don't care and they should generally be avoided, but like I said, if you want to just get your feet wet, you'll have no problem finding some english teaching work to get you started while you look for something better.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo has good advice for Bogota. If you're interested in the coast, you could try to get on at Uni Norte, the best university in that part of the country. Colombia is a tough country to break into, but it's definitely possible to work your way up.
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice from Bravo and Spanglish. What other countries would you recommend, for a good balance between lifestyle, scenery, job options, and half-decent earning potential/job progression?

Working and living on the coast is, I guess, my ultimate dream. Any more opportunities for this type of city?

I have some work (not teaching) lined up in D.Republic, and then I'd like to do an intensive Spanish course before getting to Colombia and looking for work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: