Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan Reply with quote

Have any members of the board lived and worked in either of these two cities, or others on the Pacific coast? I will be leaving my current job in Culiacan at the end of this year - not a minute too soon, really, as after three years I can state with some definiteness that Culiacan is a city lacking in attractions for expatriates. (It hasn't been as dangerous in my experience as its reputation, just boring.)

Although I know that in terms of job abundance I should set my sights on Guadalajara, Mexico City, etc., and I won't neglect doing that in my search, still, I feel very drawn to living on the Pacific coast, and once I get an idea in my head, I find it difficult to shake it loose. I like both PV and Mazatlan considerably, and would leap at any chance to make a life in either one possible. I expect that Internet teaching would have to be part of the equation, maybe a very big part, and that could be OK. But what about opportunities "on the ground," even limited and distinctly part-time ones?

I know that these are not the easiest target cities to "bring off." Any observations are welcomed.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immediately reading your post I thought your setting yourself up for failure. But, the truth is if you have the cash flow to go to these places then go. Try to make some contacts. I live in an area many people fail at - but - I have made contacts. It's important at least where I live to become part of the community: Check out doing some community work, go to church and go to whatever free social functions they have going on in town. The more people you meet the better off you will be. And I think its important to remember that some parts simply don't hire at certain times of the year.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
Immediately reading your post I thought your setting yourself up for failure. But, the truth is if you have the cash flow to go to these places then go. Try to make some contacts. I live in an area many people fail at - but - I have made contacts. It's important at least where I live to become part of the community: Check out doing some community work, go to church and go to whatever free social functions they have going on in town. The more people you meet the better off you will be. And I think its important to remember that some parts simply don't hire at certain times of the year.

Well, if I think I've got a losing hand, I won't play it, which is why I ask these questions and do this research.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: