Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No disrespect intended

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laylow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: No disrespect intended Reply with quote

I worked in Kuwait a few years ago, and I don't know why, but the country seems to be less organized in everything (work-related issues, country's infrastructure, layout of streets and buildings, etc, etc) when compared to other Gulf countries. Why is that? Not trying to disrespect the country or Kuwaitis in general, as there were a couple things I liked better about Kuwait. Just curious to know why the difference? Is it improving? In general, the teaching positions don't seem to be as good in terms of organization and overall enjoyability. Has the country improved or maybe it's all in my head!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. It was the one country that I was happy to leave and had no interest in returning.

Is there ever an answer to a "why" question like this?

VS
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laylow wrote:
In general, the teaching positions don't seem to be as good in terms of organization and overall enjoyability. Has the country improved or maybe it's all in my head!!

Kuwait isn't for everyone, but I enjoy my job, my students, and my colleagues.

veiledsentiments wrote:
I agree with you. It was the one country that I was happy to leave and had no interest in returning.

VS

It's interesting, Vilesentiments, but you're always the first person to comment on posts about Kuwait, yet you don't work here, didn't like it when you did work here, and continuously state that you have no interest in returning. Why the obsession with a place you quite obviously hate so much?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you notice, I post on most of the branches. It is a public board. If you don't like it, please feel free to not read my posts and cause irritation to your life... or perhaps that is why I do it. Cool

If you were paying attention to the original poster, he too is a person who worked in Kuwait in the past and didn't like it. So why didn't you bitch at him for mentioning it?

VS
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
If you notice, I post on most of the branches. It is a public board. If you don't like it, please feel free to not read my posts and cause irritation to your life... or perhaps that is why I do it. Cool

If you were paying attention to the original poster, he too is a person who worked in Kuwait in the past and didn't like it. So why didn't you bitch at him for mentioning it?

VS

And if you were paying attention, you would have seen that the OP began the post "No Disrespect Intended". Your post/posts, on the other hand, are anything but.
Again, I find it funny that a person who left Kuwait a while ago, and harbors such ill will towards the country, would still be so fixated on the place that they feel the need to read/comment on every single post about the place.
Sad, really. Crying or Very sad
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in Kuwait years ago and although I had no problem with the students, it was the inept management that drove me out. I also didn't like the smallness of the place and the expense of getting out for a weekend.

I was back for a few days earlier this year and it's more built up with much more traffic, many more malls and much more expensive than before - other than that, things were the same.
moonpie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: 12000 posts Reply with quote

Middleeastgirl is right. Kuwait and the Gulf countries is an obsession for VS. Dave's cafe has a total of about 240 pages of posts for all of China's English market, yet vs. has over 770 pages of personal posts for the Arabian Gulf area. Probably stating that vs. is constantly thinking endlessly about the area would be an understatement.

Moon
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think that posters posting a lot about a place they don't/didn't like is "funny." "a fixation." or an "obsession." I'd advise never checking out the Saudi board.

It's chock full of "funny, fixated, obsessed" posters, ones there now and ones who were there in the past.

"Dave's cafe has a total of about 240 pages of posts for all of China's English market, yet vs. has over 770 pages of personal posts for the Arabian Gulf area."

Hmm, there might be those who'd think that taking the time and trouble to do such "research" could be indicative of something closely resembling fixation/obsession, as well.

Regards,
John
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: