Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Africa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westonw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Teaching in Africa Reply with quote

For all those interested in teaching in Africa I strongly urge you to check out the WorldTeach organization at http://www.worldteach.org/. There are numerous opportunities in Africa and the programs are reputable. Here's a video from my experience teaching in Namibia. It was an incredible experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfUswdpvC_g
Steinmann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Africa Reply with quote

westonw wrote:
For all those interested in teaching in Africa I strongly urge you to check out the WorldTeach organization at http://www.worldteach.org/. There are numerous opportunities in Africa and the programs are reputable. Here's a video from my experience teaching in Namibia. It was an incredible experience.

Seems like a good outfit, though I get a little edgy whenever I read volunteer. To my mind, that translates to little or no actual pay.
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Africa Reply with quote

Steinmann wrote:
westonw wrote:

Seems like a good outfit, though I get a little edgy whenever I read volunteer. To my mind, that translates to little or no actual pay.

In this case, you actually have to pay (or fundraise, which amounts to the same thing ...) to go to work there for free.

What a sweet deal for all involved (especially the people who run the organization, who no doubt earn salaries ...) except for the "volunteer."
westonw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my program in Namibia we did have to pay a fee for the program of about $5,900. This includes rountrip-airfare, health insurance, and other in-country expenses for the volunteers. During the year I received a stipend from the Ministry of Education of about $400/month, which was more than enough to live on. I've worked with several NPO's/NGO's before and this really isn't a bad deal from a financial standpoint. Other programs they offer are completely subsidized but it depends where you're going. In Africa you typically have to pay.

But let's not jump to conclusions that organizations automatically make an ample amount of money off volunteer program fees (some do). WorldTeach does an extremely fair job in using much of the volunteer fees on volunteers themselves. Of course they need to utilize some for operational expenses and they've done this appropriately.

Just need to do your research....http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=11958
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westonw wrote:
With my program in Namibia we did have to pay a fee for the program of about $5,900. This includes rountrip-airfare, health insurance, and other in-country expenses for the volunteers.

Flights, jobs, and gruel aren't that expensive. You might as well go there on your own. This is charity tourism more than real charity work. It's designed to be a never-ending cycle.
westonw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Flights, jobs, and gruel aren't that expensive. You might as well go there on your own. This is charity tourism more than real charity work. It's designed to be a never-ending cycle.

Flights to Namibia alone cost up to $2,000. Sure, you could probably go on your own but most people would have no idea where to go. And if you did find a public school they may let you volunteer there but you wouldn't receive ANY compensation since you wouldn't be listed as an employee of the MOE. Basically, in this case going on your own would be much more expensive in the long run. Also, regardless of whether you utilize it or not, it's nice to have some sort of support system in place. Most people have never traveled to Africa and it's reassuring to know there are resources at your disposal. It's sad you're trying to discredit the work of an organization you know nothing about.
westonw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another video from my "charity tourism" time in Namibia. This is a bit more insightful as to where I worked and the kids I was teaching. Oh, and that first song was a huge hit all across Southern Africa in 2010...DJ Bojo Mojo in case you're wondering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF3_hJe5CAU
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westonw wrote:
Flights to Namibia alone cost up to $2,000. Sure, you could probably go on your own but most people would have no idea where to go.

I'd start by going some place I didn't have to pay to work for a charity tourism business.
westonw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd start by going some place I didn't have to pay to work for a charity tourism business.

Anything you do is going to cost you something, whether it be finanicially, physically, or psychologically. People just need to know that the rewards from the experience will usually outweigh these costs. So as long as you do something, regardless of the type of charity work, that's a positive start.

Debating whether or not certain NPO's are businesses would be arguing semantics. Just try not to get too hung up on hidden agendas. But I do understand where you're coming from. I too was once a cynic.
Majuro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charity tourism businesses will charge you $5,000 to send you somewhere for 6 weeks. World Teach sends you there for a full year. Once you deduct the cost of flights, international health insurance for a year, 4-week teacher training, etc. the costs are not that exhorbitant for 12 months in-country.

Quote:

Skyblue2, you've posted mainly in the Asia and Middle East forums. When did you teach in Africa? What are your experiences looking for paid work there?

Not all of World Teach's programs are paying for the volunteer. Some are fully funded by the MOE, in turn funded by US special education grants. Unfortunatly not every country is eligible for American education grants and not every MOE can afford the cost of hiring foreign teachers. Would these schools and their students be better off if all the paying volunteers left and refused to come back without a salary and all-expenses paid?
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majuro wrote:
Once you deduct the cost of flights, international health insurance for a year, 4-week teacher training, etc. the costs are not that exhorbitant for 12 months in-country.

As long as you don't count the opportunity costs. I can understand working for money and working for nothing (i.e. volunteering). Paying to work is too much for me to stomach.
MomCat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Sub-Sahara teaching Reply with quote

If you're a certified teacher in the States and want to be paid for teaching in Sub-Sahara Africa, try IFESH. No out of pocket expenses for the teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: