Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA in TESOL or ESL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julia1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: MA in TESOL or ESL Reply with quote

I am interested in getting MA in TESOL or ESL. I have a master's in elementary education and 12 years teaching experience. I also have 5 years experience (currently) teaching as an adjunt at a 4 year college (elementary ed.) I teach adults.

My goal is to get a position at a community college in the states. I am willing to relocate.

What is your advice on a MA program first of all? Obviously, what is the most reasonably priced on-line course that is accredited?

This is my first post. Any advice is welcome for a "newbie"
rtm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MA in TESOL or ESL Reply with quote

julia1 wrote:
I am interested in getting MA in TESOL or ESL. I have a master's in elementary education and 12 years teaching experience. I also have 5 years experience (currently) teaching as an adjunt at a 4 year college (elementary ed.) I teach adults.

My goal is to get a position at a community college in the states. I am willing to relocate.

What is your advice on a MA program first of all? Obviously, what is the most reasonably priced on-line course that is accredited?

This is my first post. Any advice is welcome for a "newbie"

Are you looking only for on-line courses? If you are hoping to teach at a college in the US, I would definitely recommend doing an on-campus program if possible - preferably one with an intensive English program that employs graduate students as instructors. I say this because once you graduate, I doubt anyplace will hire you if you have no ESL teaching experience. Most jobs I have seen require at least 2 years relevant teaching experience. Also, having experience teaching ESL in an intensive college program would be a big plus for a potential employer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: