Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety for females in Cambodia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jessika_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Safety for females in Cambodia Reply with quote

I know there are a few other topics about this but I was just wondering from any females if they have any problems there? I've read tons of bad, and tons of good. I just want to know from female prospective or if any of you have female friends how safe they feel being alone there? Thanks!
Tetris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jessika,

I am one of the few, the proud, the lone females in Phnom Penh. I see no reason to feel particularly unsafe; in my several months here I have had no problems whatsoever (although that hardly makes a scientific survey). The major issue I have is the strange looks I get when I tell people I came here alone, no husband, no boyfriend, no other friends, just alone. Because I wanted to.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.
Jessika_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have enough posts yet to PM people. How was it finding a job there? Did you go to the country and look or find one from home? Sorry for all the questions.
hogiekj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Lone female in Cambodge Reply with quote

My experience is very dated but I spent three years in PP as a lone female. I don't think I ever thought about how many other lone females there were around the town. I'm reasonably self-sufficient and I worked, swam, read, wandered without too many problems. I did live quietly and I wasn't out at the Heart of Darkness at 11pm looking for trouble. One thing...don't go there with the expectation of finding lots of lone, ex-pat males looking for love.....they won't be looking in your direction unless things have changed very dramatically.
greyskymornings

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Lone Female in Cambodia Reply with quote

I don't know if this thread is outdated, but I went to Cambodia in January 2011 alone. I stayed in a guesthouse for most of the time, and everything went smoothly. I don't know if I would give a resounding "YES" on the claim that Cambodia is totally safe though. If you are a foreigner you are a definite target for enthusiastic (sometimes pushy) tuk-tuk drivers and motorcycle 'taxis'. I did have one guy that kind of followed me around town and made me uncomfortable, but it was in broad daylight on a very busy, populated street.

Just be very, very aware of your surroundings.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lone Female in Cambodia Reply with quote

greyskymornings wrote:
If you are a foreigner you are a definite target for enthusiastic (sometimes pushy) tuk-tuk drivers and motorcycle 'taxis'.

This is an annoyance, not a danger. Irritating? At times, extremely. Life-threatening? Hardly. If I feel my blood-pressure rising, I try to remind myself that these guys are only trying to scrape a living the best they can. There is no Welfare or Social Security in Cambodia. Conversely, having a plethora of readily-available and comparatively cheap transportation options is for me one of the advantages of living here. A joy compared to the situation in my last location, where a car was an absolute necessity if one didn't want to exist like a hermit.

greyskymornings wrote:
Just be very, very aware of your surroundings.

Sound advice. And true of pretty much any urban population centre anywhere in the World. The Khmers are a fairly mellow, laid-back bunch and are not generally looking for problems, particularly with foreigners. Exercise the usual caution and you are unlikely to become a victim. Crime, particularly violent crime, against Westerners is thankfully still comparatively rare. Much more so than in neighboring Thailand, for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: