Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAMA, Sharjah, UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nouran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: SAMA, Sharjah, UAE Reply with quote

Beware and stay clear. The school is two months old and claims to be an "American" Academy. Far from it--it's owned by a local and his daughter, who have hundreds of servelliance cameras around the school, with full time police watching each and everyone's move. The kids (I had grade 2) should all be in special needs, with the exception of very few. No assessments were made on these children. The kids ate chocolate doughnuts and chocolate milk for their lunches. Never met a parent, only the nanny's.

The housing provided which I had to beg for is also owned by the owners---no furniture and bug infested in the worst area of Sharjah.

The kids can not be controlled becasue to the children it was a big party at school. Give them paper, they crumble it, a pencil, they throw it, a book, they tear apart.

So SAMA's way of dealing with out of control grade 2's is to fire the teacher and not look at the real issue or send in any support. That would be a logical fix but I got fired, kicked out of the pest fest apt within an hour and then had to fight for my pay which was almost robbed by the driver. It's an absolute nightmare, not to mention as an American Academy, being the only American I really didn't stand a chance. All Indian and Pakistanis for English Teachers at the American Academy.

Told them Zoo keepers couldn't keep these kids in line. No respect at all for education. So clueless. They should spend some time in America and learn about education, special needs, nutrition, discipline because zippo goes on there.
'
I have PTSD from the month I spent at that joke of a school.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A perfect example of why we always recommend that teachers completely check out these schools before taking a job. Your story is much too common in the Gulf. Nearly the only places that will approximate schools as we know them are the ones that have a significant number of Western expat students whose parents insist on getting an education that will prepare them to go back home to school some day.

The rest will have a varying level of cultural difference as to classroom goals and student behavior ranging from tolerable up to descriptions like the above. Personally I would avoid a place where I would be the only "Westerner" in a school purporting to be American or British or whatever. Also, new places are always problematic.

Hopefully your next job will be better.

VS
Nouran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Thank you for your compassion Reply with quote

Yes, good valid points. At first I thought "I am the only American here, is that a good thing or bad thing". With time, I figured it out. The VP was nice and asked what he thought should be done with my class, since out of 18 only 3 gilrs took any interest in anything being taught. And it turned out my class was made up of two overflowed classes so they made class 3, which was mine. So do the math, class one and two passed on the worst of the worst and kept the finer students for themselves. Pretty obvious. I told the VP I have a Master's in Counseling with 15 years experience working with families and children, and I can't do anything with these kids. I would have to leave the classroom for my own sanity. It's really sad what that country will be like when these kids become adults with such lack of respect for school. I have no clue how they plan to staff that place with happy teachers. It's not my problem obviously, but just head's up to any other's considering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: