Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ECC vs. Amity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torontogirl88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: ECC vs. Amity Reply with quote

I got an e-mail from ECC saying that I "will be contacted between now and Thursday March 10th with an offer from the recent ECC hiring session" and at the end of the e-mail it said "congratulations".

I guess this means I'll for sure be getting something at ECC? I'm super anxious to find out where I'll be placed and when I'll be able to go!

I have an interview with Amity on Thursday - but as I have mentioned earlier, taking time off work is going to be really difficult. I'm considering not going.

I already asked on this forum for your help in deciding between AEON and Amity - and that was such a huge help. I really appreciated every response! Now, I'd like to ask you for your help in deciding between ECC and Amity.

ECC pay is 252,000 yen and Amity pay is 285,000. Even though Amity pay is a little higher, it's not enough to make me chose Amity over ECC.

I was really impressed with ECC when I went for my interview session.

Is there anything I should know about why Amity might be better than ECC or vice versa?

Thank you sooo much everyone Very Happy Very Happy
mstoffer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!! Getting that email is a great feeling. I also recently got an offer from ECC and will be heading to Japan very soon. You will probably know your placement within a week or so. I don't know much about Amity but ECC did a GREAT job of coordinating everything from the point of the offer to leaving for Japan. I have been very impressed with ECC so far. The drawback to ECC over Amity though is that you don't sign the contract until you finish the training in Japan; I believe for Amity you sign before you leave so you have a little more security. I hear you have to mess up pretty terribly to not get the contract once in Japan with ECC though. I think your decision will have to come down to if you want to teach the mix of kids and adults or all kids.

Good luck!! PM me if you have any specific ECC questions I can help with!
shoegazer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who was recently in your exact same situation, having been hired by ECC and deciding whether to attend an upcoming Amity interview, I would advise you to go. I did not, and I can tell you there was a moment there where I definitely regretted it. I like the way ECC handled the entire interview process and they've been very professional and transparent with me in all of their communications since. However, I was informed at the interview (in October) that I would be leaving without question by February, March at the latest. I must stress that I made it a point to inquire specifically about the possibility of overstaffing and later-than-expected placements during the Q&A session and was told that such problems would absolutely not occur. And so after skipping out on my long-awaited Amity interview, December rolls around, which is when I expected to hear about placement, and instead, I was informed that that exact situation that couldn't possibly happen was indeed happening; anyone who'd requested Kanto spots for upcoming placements (which I did) was met with the news that there were ZERO open spots for that particular district and that we would all have to wait until the next recruiting session -- some 4-6 months later than expected, which for the record there hasn't yet been any update. This was due to more teachers extending their contracts than expected as well as class consolidations, so take that as you will.

I'm curious about when they told you you'd hear about placement and when that placement would occur? In any case, there's definitely pros and cons to both companies, and I definitely thought ECC was a good enough way to go that I didn't even bother with Amity, but, if I were you, I would.
whispechoes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally didn't bother going after I got my interview with ECC, but if you want to keep all of your doors open, I would recommend that you check out the Amity interview, especially if for whatever reason you're in a hurry to get to Japan as soon as possible. If you have a job at the moment or are fairly comfortable, then you can decide to just wait it out for ECC... but really, it depends on your circumstances.

The only real reasons I didn't go to Amity was a) time constraints and b) didn't want to spend the extra money.
Paul RVA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind o in the same boat as you. I had my Amity interview two weeks ago and am about to have my ECC interview next week. Amity has some great benefits and pay, but I want to see what ECC has to offer before I commit to either. Could you fill me in on ECC's benefits and pay rate?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: