Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NET job interview and dvice needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: NET job interview and dvice needed Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
I recently received an email requesting me for a job interview in Hong Kong for the NET program.

I have been teaching in Japan for 2 years. I had taught Secondary school in Canada for 6 years prior to that.

Has anyone been through the interview process with NET? What are the odds of getting hired? What would someone with my past texperience earn?

I was very keen to teach in Hong Kong before I went home for Christmas and now, the timing of the interview is a little off and it is making me doubt Hong Kong as a work place.

Any advice about living in Hong Kong, Apartments, travel from Hong Kong to other exotic places, work conditions and whatnots.

ANY ADVICE is helpful...please.
Thank you in advance.
Tanya
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently a net in hong kong and can answer many of your questions...

They are hiring replacement teachers so I can't tell you the odds but the fact that they are asking for an interview now rather in the spring or summer makes me think that they do want you.

The salary, if they count all of your experience (it has to be full time and with the right aged kids), would be aroundd 27K a month plus the living allowance 13K....so maybe 40 K. The starting point is 19K, for someone with a teaching certificate, and then I just assume you get a point up the ladder for every year experience. The salary will be in the job offer.

The teaching varies from school to school. Mine is fine but boring...another teacher was recently put into a hospital after an incident with a student.

Make sure that you get a few things clear. You can't do this during the interview, but after if a school contacts you. First, talk about your holidays....some schools want their teachers to work a major portion of their holidays....second...Saturdays....some teachers find themselves working Sat mornings...those are the two things to check before you sign with a school
Mosley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an interview with them last year. Have the degrees/experience, yada,yada. I have to say that I had never been interviewed in such a rude and haughty manner in my life. Also, be prepared for really tough questions about grammar and methodology(they like to throw curveballs at you). Have with you the originals of EVERY document you sent in the initial application . Depite my shock, I thought I handled the interview quite well , but, no, I wasn't accepted. I had a hell of a time getting any expense money from them as well, and when I did ,it was much less than what was promised. So to hell with the lot of them. These are not sour grapes BTW, I've been turned down for jobs where the interviewers were as sweet as pie. Cheers, & good luck
arju

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: net interview Reply with quote

re the net interview Iam a pnet but much the same as what roger said you stand a good chance of a JOB BUT ONCE A SCHOOL CONTACTS YOU MAKE SURE YOUknow what the conditions are,it is a contract in form but they like to break rearrange the parts so if they want you try to make sure everyting is clear and in your favour .
the holidays are not what we understand and principals can reduce them.
honk kong is a interesting and safe palce to work however the ecconomy is poor so cutbacks are coming
best of luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: