Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Realistic in Medellin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sammy13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Realistic in Medellin Reply with quote

I was recently on a flight to Medellin and met a guy who claimed he was teaching at Colombo Americano or something like that. He said they gave him a furnished apartment in Poblado plus 4,000us per month. Are these numbers realistic?
What are the normal numbers for teaching in Colombia?
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Realistic in Medellin Reply with quote

Sammy13 wrote:
I was recently on a flight to Medellin and met a guy who claimed he was teaching at Colombo Americano or something like that. He said they gave him a furnished apartment in Poblado plus 4,000us per month. Are these numbers realistic?

Well, I looked at their website, it looks like a pretty run of the mill language school. And based on the prices for the courses, they would either have to be packing them in or he would have to be teaching 60 hours a week for the school to be able to pay him a salary like that. Here in Mexico, the only place you�ll make a salary anywhere near that is in an elite private school - not a language school - where the tuition is upwards of 500 US dollars a month. Based on what I know about salaries in Colombia, I would say it is highly unlikely.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Colombo Americano is the name of a high school, it's possible.

If he was referring to the language institute, it's definitely not true.
Cruiser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windowlicker wrote:
If Colombo Americano is the name of a high school, it's possible.

If he was referring to the language institute, it's definitely not true.

I second that. I applied at the Colombo language institute in Medellin and ended up fleeing in horror. They have inordinately large class sizes and pay somewhere in the neighbourhood of $10 per hour, actually less if they can get away with it.
JacobTM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colombo Americano is a language institute that just has in house classes, and they pay ALOT less than normal institutes, and are generally known for only hiring Colombians cause no foreigners will accept the wage.
Martillo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Realistic in Medellin Reply with quote

Sammy13 wrote:

There is no way that is true. Colombo Americano is a language institute chain and they don�t like to hire foreigners who need work visas (they just flat out say no). Their pay is lower than the industry average and the industry average is under $1,000 US. $4,000 US dollars would be almost 8 million pesos... a full university professor at the best schools in Bogot� won�t make that much. The director of a bilingual school (the director, mind you) might almost make that much, but requires an advanced degree and usually a decade of experience in similar directorship positions.

In short, there is no way he is making that money working for Colombo Americano.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: