Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mouths shut, heads exploding, teacher has to buy a new shirt
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the culture where I now live, "everybody" has a mobile phone. (I guess I'm a "nobody" since I don't have one.)

I find it irritating and often rude the way people regard an incoming phone call or phone message (the ones they read off the little screen) as more important than anything else going on at the moment.

Even though our students are instructed to turn off their phones when in class, many of them set their phones to vibrate, and when they receive a call, (which must produce something like a mini-orgasm,) they ask to leave the room for a moment. I suppose that's better than when mobile phones first became popular. Back then, students' phones would play songs or make weird noises in the middle of class, and students would carry on their phone conversations right in the classroom. I once had a student get quite miffed with me when I asked her to end her phone conversation immediately during a final exam!
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: A hard cell Reply with quote

Since Christmas, I've had what I guess could be called a non-mobile phone (it was a gift) since it's resided on the end table next to my bed all the time. I just can't seem to get into the habit of taking it with me everywhere - and, to be honest, I don't really want to. Very few people have the number anyway, and, on those rare occasions when it's rung, it's scared the bejeezus out of me. However, I'll be heading off into some wilderness areas here in the southwest USA in mid-April and mid-May, and I suppose it'll come in handy then.
Regards,
John
denise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a softie about students eating/having phones/etc., but it has never been a problem. On the odd occasion on which a phone has rung, the student is so embarrassed that he/she turns off the phone immediately. My philospohy is something like this: Hey, people make mistakes. Forgetting to turn off a mobile phone is a mistake that anyone could make.

Food? Also not a problem. Once, a student spilled coffee all over his desk and the floor, and again, hoo boy, was he ever embarrassed!!! Grinning sheepishly and performing flourishing bows as he cleaned up the mess.

I don't have any discipline problems. If I did, I might be more strict, but not likely--it's just not me. I guess I am grateful that my students are for the most part well-behaved.

d
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote in favour of allowing phones to exist-- though with the appropriate behavioral modifications (not in class, not in library, etc)--- because where I am now, I don't have a landline and the nearest payphones are a 20 minute walk down a busy noisy street full of staring, smoking Turkish men.

I love my phone for this reason.
Kitegirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to reconsider your confiscation policies...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3557716&thesection=news&thesubsection=world
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or stock up on pepper spray.
Regards,
John
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, I'll be heading off into some wilderness areas here in the southwest USA in mid-April and mid-May, and I suppose it'll come in handy then.

I think you should take your mobile phone with you. I can't help thinking that if the Blair Witch Project students had had a phone between them, they wouldn't have got caught up in so much trouble...
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John,
How much of a wilderness will it be? Remember you'll have to re-charge it.(the phone that is)
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Of arm and the man I sing Reply with quote

Dear dmb,
Well, not so much of a wilderness that I can't get back to my car once a day, where I can recharge it in the cigarette lighter thingie. I'll park pretty close to where I'll be camping, head off into the backcountry daily but return - inshallah - to the site every evening.

Dear Teacher in Rome,
Haven't seen the movie, but it's not anything "supernatural" that concerns me out there - just the "natural" can cause enough "trouble", as this news story shows:

http://hike.mountainzone.com/2003/news/html/030502_amputate-arm.html

Coincidentally enough, I'll be camping not very far at all from where that happened.

Regards,
John
P.S. I'll also always carry my trusty Swiss Army knife, just in case. And, here's one of the places I'll be visiting:

http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/Utah/Canyonlands/MuleyPointGoosenecks/MuleyPointEnd.html
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article is a little alarming. I don't understand how he could have done all that hacking and not pass out from the pain. With a penknife? How sharp does a penknife need to be to cut through muscle and bone? Mine wouldn't do that much damage to an apple, let alone... well, you get the picture.

Still, it looks absolutely stunning. I imagine you can wander around for days and not see anyone else. Which I guess brings us back to drastic measures!

Have fun hiking - don't forget your phone!
kev7161

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My students are not allowed cell phones at school (nor MP3s or any other electronic device - - only translators). My students have been getting into the bad habit of food in the classroom:

I have my own classroom but sometimes I have to go to their classroom when I need a computer or the big screen TV (don't have those in my classroom, naturally). When I'm in their classroom, there is food and drink everywhere!!! I tell them to put it away and eat between classes. In my classroom, they don't bring anything except maybe gum.

We have morning "tea" every day at 9:50 where the kids get fruit and snacks. The "tea" lasts for 20 minutes. Some kids gobble their snack right down, some make it last (although lunch is only two hours away!)

Cell phones: I have a cell phone and it comes in handy when I need to call my Chinese friend and ask him to translate something for me - - but I'm not a big fan of cells either. However, I understand that in big cities at least, friends are so far away and a person may not see their friend for weeks at a time. This may be their only way to stay in touch (emails are okay, but not as personal).
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: to DMB re: phones Reply with quote

To DMB

Is there any truth in that story about a 'cell-phone-blocker'? I heard about it as a rumour a couple of years ago, but nothing more. I'd be very interested to know details.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a classic
Quote:
Daughter attacks mother in mobile phone frenzy

30.03.2004 7.30 am

A 14-year-old Hong Kong girl flew into a rage and chased her mother around their flat with a knife and wooden pole after she confiscated the teenager's mobile phone, a police spokeswoman said yesterday.

The terrified mother locked herself in a bedroom and police arrived at the scene to see the girl in a frenzy, hacking at the door with the knife.

"They had to use pepper spray to subdue the girl before they could rescue the mother," the spokeswoman said. Social workers are now handling the case.

dmb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Echo, I read about it in the local English language paper, and my students said it was true(however that doesn't mean anything) As I am not a Muslim and hence never been in a mosque here I can not back up my claim. There is a mosque on the traning centre where I work and my my office is next to it. I can honestly say that I have never heard Beyonce, 2Pac, Eminem or any other answer tone coming from the house of worship. So for once I believe my students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: