Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Amity Way

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarolinaBen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: The Amity Way Reply with quote

I didn't get a job with Amity, but I did make it to the personal interview. When I was searching for information on the internet for creating my lesson plan, I found it difficult to locate specific information on what an Amity lesson plan looked like. Of course, I was able to find out that they liked hand gestures. I even found some descriptions of lesson plans and explanations of the personal interview demo lesson.

However, I really had no idea what an Amity one on one private lesson looked like. I do have some info that will help future applicants.

During the personal interview, the recruiter showed me a demo lesson. I took notes of the lesson that she showed me and I thought I would share it with you.

The recruiter pretended to be an 8 year old Japanese girl.

I was given 5 animated flash cards.

Flash Card 1 A boy drinking
Flash Card 2 A girl dancing
Flash Card 3 A boy playing in sand with a bucket
Flash Card 4 A boy and a girl eating
Flash Card 5 A girl singing

Lesson Plan Part I - Flip through the flash cards and make a gesture with each card. For example, (a boy drinking) make a drinking gesture and have the student say drinking while making the gesture 3 times. After you complete this activity, move on to the next card. A girl dancing (I did a little jig dance) and had the girl dance and say dancing 3 times. Repeat until you finish all 5 cards.

Go through all the cards one more time each.

Lesson Plan Part II - Mix up all of the cards. You want to make sure the student has not just memorized the order of the cards.

After you have mixed up all of the cards repeat go through them in the same way 1 more time.

Lesson Plan Part III - Lay all of the cards face up on the table. Now you will just make the gesture, and the student will point at the correct card and say the word. For example, if I make a gesture like I am eating. The student should point at the picture of the boy eating and say eating.

Go through each card 2 times.

Lesson Plan Part IV - You need to teach the students (he and she). I used the cards as a reference, and I used myself and the student (Recruiter) as an example. I pointed at myself and said he and I pointed at the recruiter and said she.

What I failed to do was to check for understanding from the student. During my critique, the recruiter let me know that young Japanese students will often reply with Yes or Okay, when you ask them if they understand. You have to test for understanding with everything in a similar way to how you mixed the flashcards in Part II.

Lesson Plan Part V - The cards should still be face up on the table. You will introduce the word as a sentence. You will say "he is eating" and make a gesture as if you are eating.
Go through all of the lesson plan parts again
(this time using he is or she is) Be sure to check for understanding from time to time. Make the student prove that they really understand.

I was just asked to repeat the lesson exactly the way the recruiter did it. I was given 10 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to teach it.
torontogirl88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!!! That is very helpful Smile I have a personal interview with Amity coming up!

Did she quiz you on any of the information she presented during the group interview (like from that power point presentation?!)
CarolinaBen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, she did quiz me on the PowerPoint. However, since I had my notes with me I was allowed to use them.

Just remember to use lots of hand gestures in your demonstration lesson, and be as genki as possible.
torontogirl88

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Was it a written quiz or she just verbally quizzed you?
CarolinaBen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am estimating that they only really took 5 people (or less) out of the 50 applicants. I have stayed in contact with some of the other applicants and that is how I am able to make this estimation. I don't think I would recommend anyone traveling that far or spending money to go to the interview.

I have mentioned in other posts that I have a teaching license and over two years of experience teaching english at public schools in the states. My friends in Japan keeps telling me that I should come to Japan because of my super fun teaching style. However, I was rejected. I did well in all parts of the process actually. The recruiter who watched my demo lesson actually wrote down that the lesson was perfect and she had no further suggestions. The recruiter in my personal interview let me know this.

You will get a differeent recruiter for the personal interview. I have a feeling I was not accepted for 2 reasons.

#1 - I am 31 years old
#2 - My teaching certification and experience would allow me to jump ship after I get the working visa and find a better job.
(However, I would have never done that. I keep my word on contracts.)

The recruiters were not that friendly, and when I attempted to joke with them they just looked at me with a blank stare haha. A combination of genki and professional will work best.

I spent $400+ on the plane ticket, hotel room, and food..........OUCH!
CarolinaBen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She just asked me a couple of questions. It was not a written quiz. I would also add that they seemed to cut half the room after the demo lesson. It appeared that half of the applicants got a personal interview.
torontogirl88

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had 50 students at your recruiting session!? Wow! That's a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: