Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phonemic / Phonetic Script Writer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul G

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Phonemic / Phonetic Script Writer Reply with quote

If you have ever needed to use phonetic script (IPA) in a word document, you know it can be a hassle. Here's a free program that simplifies the process. Phonmap makes it easy to write words in phonemic/phonetic script without having to search through large font tables.

This program can be downloaded (free) at:

http://janmulder.co.uk/TEFLOnline/phonmap.htm
Celeste

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!!!! I was trying to figure out how to create IPA in power point for a lecture that I will be delivering and was getting more than a little frustrated. Cool
Irish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Scwheet! Reply with quote

Just the thing I've been looking for! Many thanks, muchas gracias, and mahalo nui loa, Paul!
little horsey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This program is great! One thing: is there a North American or more specifically, Canadian equivalent? I'm just worried I'm going to get a little mixed up on some of the sounds in British vs. Canadian English.
Bertrand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

little horsey wrote:
This program is great! One thing: is there a North American or more specifically, Canadian equivalent? I'm just worried I'm going to get a little mixed up on some of the sounds in British vs. Canadian English.

You just transcribe the sounds of the variety of English as they occur - the symbols are standardized worldwide. So, what do you mean by Canadian equivalents? You do have to learn the place and manner of articulation in order to do this but that is not hard (and should have been covered on your TEFL course).
Bertrand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Phonemic / Phonetic Script Writer Reply with quote

Paul G wrote:
If you have ever needed to use phonetic script (IPA) in a word document, you know it can be a hassle. Here's a free program that simplifies the process. Phonmap makes it easy to write words in phonemic/phonetic script without having to search through large font tables.

This program can be downloaded (free) at:

http://janmulder.co.uk/TEFLOnline/phonmap.htm

Do you know what "phonemic" means? Do you even know what a phoneme is? It is the underlying mental representation and has little concrete relation to how a particular phone is realised (in any way that would interest a TEFLer): cf. e.g., the two /l/s in British English (heavy and light): try: "little". The two differing /l/s are both ALLOPHONES of the PHONEME /l/. So, I doubt very much if there is a 'phonemic script'!

Last edited by Bertrand on Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:19 am; edited 2 times in total
little horsey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Bertrand!

I was talking about the examples they give for each sound. In case you didn't know, Canadian and British English do, in fact, differ in pronunciations of many different sounds. It had been some time (3-4 years) since I had intensely used phonetic script, so I was a little rusty (for shame!).

I don't know what happened to you today that caused you to feel the need to (in your mind) elevate yourself above Paul and myself on a topic that hasn't been posted to in 3-4 months.

See you on the China board, where I'll be sure to catch up to similar hijinx!
Bertrand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

little horsey wrote:
Bravo Bertrand!

Don't try and sound clever; you just make yourself look silly.

little horsey wrote:
I was talking about the examples they give for each sound. In case you didn't know, Canadian and British English do, in fact, differ in pronunciations of many different sounds.

Which is why there is a phonetic script. You pronounce the word according to its phonetic representation and THEN you will see what variety of English has been transcribed. There is no 'SET' variety given as an example. I'm afraid your comments evince an embarrassing lack of knowledge as regards phonetic transcription. I would guess that you have never had to transcribe a language that you do not know a single word in, have you? (As you have to as a first year undergraduate of linguistics.)
little horsey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to sound clever. I was trying... Oh, forget it. What's the point, anyways?
awheewall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not impressed with that script writer, as it uses it's own codes and font, so if you change the font into one that supports the IPA extensions, the script is lost. It's a pity the font she created didn't use the same Unicode codes as the Unicode fonts.

It's of limited use in its current form for me.
Belmont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awheewall wrote:
Well I'm not impressed with that script writer, as it uses it's own codes and font, so if you change the font into one that supports the IPA extensions, the script is lost. It's a pity the font she created didn't use the same Unicode codes as the Unicode fonts.

It's of limited use in its current form for me.

What does any of this have to do with teaching people how to communicate in English?
shmooj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belmont,
being able to produce teaching materials with IPA fonts printing correctly or using them in stuff in documents online is a real blessing for those of us who teach communicative English. Communicative English is full of prosodic elements which must be taught to students such as connected speech, weak forms, elision and so on. This font program is great because it can make it really easy to enter these fonts which is not so easy to do directly in Word etc. I understand the complaint you quoted as being relevant. If the writer of the program is looking for feedback they will find it right here.
Belmont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: IPA Reply with quote

Smooj.....I appreciate your comments. Smile
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried downloading this software and it doesn't work. When I opened the file (after downloading) it just came up as a bunch of symbols. Not phonetic symbols either. Rolling Eyes I tried emailing the web designer and their email is nonexistent. To make a long story short, does anyone know of another source or software program where I could get a phonetic script for my computer?
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Who wrote this script, anyway? Reply with quote

Dear Gordon,

Hmm, how about these?

http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=

more specifically:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=encore-ipa

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: