Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I get a job at a university?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcmc wrote:
As far as I know 48,0000NT-60,000NT is is a typical range. A number of teachers I've spoken to are earning something closer to the lower figure. However, I haven't asked all the teachers this question.

A friend of mine was earning a measly $NT56,000 at Ming Chuan University. This is the lowest salary that can be paid and is based on MOE salary scales . . . I think. Sometimes it's a little confusing as to who sets the rules: the MOE or the individual universities.

This friend has informed me that when he asked his ELC supervisor to sign a letter agreeing that he work additional hours at a buxiban, the request was categorically refused, meaning that he was stuck earning the 56K or work illegally to make ends meet.

Last edited by romanworld on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
creztor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. So then it seems that hiring "staff" and hiring "faculty" fall under two different areas? If so it would make sense. Anyway, it's not just the foreigners who are having to work longer hours for less money. romanworld mentioned it above and anyone who is in Taiwan and watches the news knows that the decreasing population is a huge problem. In the next five years many universities will either merge or close, and we'll see a decrease in the number of staff and faculty members. Cram schools and primary schools already have this problem, and there are heaps of licensed teachers who simply cannot find work full-time and are part-time teachers. They frequently tell me that it is simply impossible to find a full-time job teaching. Those who have the position don't want to give it up because they know how much harder it has become to find work. I think it would be a huge mistake for anyone outside of Taiwan to move here with the goal of teaching full-time in a university.
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:
In short, these teachers are regarded in much the same way as the secretary and other office and administrative staff in the university. They are not deemed as academic faculty. They are essentially "staff" - not professors / academic faculty.

I've heard the reason that universities are treating some academics as staff is that the MOE rewards a university with more research money if there are more Ph.ds onboard. It's a ratio thing: The more instructors they have vis-a-vis Ph.ds, the less the university receive from on high in the form of grants. If you label the instructors as staff, the ratios look more favourable because staff are not factored into the equation. Remember, the Taiwanese birth rate is seriously low, which means there is a shift by the MOE away from bums on seats and a push towards universities collaborating with industry. In this way it is hoped that Taiwanese universities can generate their own income and survive the current crisis in the HE sector.

Allied to what I've written abve about research is the fact that most of those that are hired to do reseach hold a Ph.d in the area, which means that there are fewer and fewer opportunities for MAs to get jobs. Again, Ming Chuan University seem to be an exception to this rule because they are paying their foreign faculty in the ELC less, increasing the workload, and asking their MAs to engage in research, plus extra admin duties. In other words, they are asking instructors/staff to do a lot more for a lot less. That's a good reason to steer clear of this particular school and universities in Taiwan generally.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
Again, Ming Chuan University seem to be an exception to this rule because they are paying their foreign faculty in the ELC less, increasing the workload, and asking their MAs to engage in research, plus extra admin duties. In other words, they are asking instructors/staff to do a lot more for a lot less. That's a good reason to steer clear of this particular school and universities in Taiwan generally.

In the past I've spoken to people who have taught at Ming Chuan University who have pretty much said the same thing. Even though they were faculty, they taught more hours and they were not happy with the in-house materials that they were forced to use. They also complained about having to take a bus out to Taoyuan to teach at the campus out there. I guess it wasn't a choice - they had to do it. I don't know if that's still the case, though. Overall, I haven't heard much positive said about teaching at Ming Chuan University.
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:
In the past I've spoken to people who have taught at Ming Chuan University who have pretty much said the same thing. Even though they were faculty, they taught more hours and they were not happy with the in-house materials that they were forced to use. They also complained about having to take a bus out to Taoyuan to teach at the campus out there. I guess it wasn't a choice - they had to do it. I don't know if that's still the case, though. Overall, I haven't heard much positive said about teaching at Ming Chuan University.

My friend informs me that one foreign teacher was forced off the Taoyuan bus early one morning because there were no seats left. He was told to get off the bus and get a taxi at his own expense! And this was around 6.30 in the morning! Later he complained, and ended up being forced out of the place. Maybe they need to buy bigger buses or put on an extra one so that their teachers can get to class on time?! Or maybe they simply don't have the additional funds for such unimportant matters?
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
Shimokitazawa wrote:

My friend informs me that one foreign teacher was forced off the Taoyuan bus early one morning because there were no seats left. He was told to get off the bus and get a taxi at his own expense! And this was around 6.30 in the morning! Later he complained, and ended up being forced out of the place. Maybe they need to buy bigger buses or put on an extra one so that their teachers can get to class on time?! Or maybe they simply don't have the additional funds for such unimportant matters?

That's terrible. However, it does not surprise me. Over the years I've spoken with several instructors from Ming Chuan University and all have mentioned how much of a pain it is to take the bus out to Taoyuan campus. But I can't help but wonder why they just don't have a permanent teaching staff based at that campus, rather then compelling instructors from the main campus to teach out there. That bus ride alone is a deal breaker for most people, at least it would be for me.

6:30am on a bus to start the day - for a university professor! Amazing. But that's because they had you guys going out to Taoyuan campus. I like the location of the Shilin main campus, it's right in front of the station which makes the location convenient. Unfortunately, based on what I've heard, it's not a place I'd like to ever work.

Yamahuh, you were asking about salaries? I was over at Turton's blog today and came across this:

Quote:
Base pay for instructor (MA) is $52K (Taiwan) a month. A PhD makes between 10K and 20K more (depending on academic rank)

So after contributions and taxes, etc., the M.A. instructor will be left with about NT $46, 000 or so take home pay each month. Not a lot of money.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that the instructor would be deducted 18% in taxes during the first six months of the year.
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:
Unfortunately, based on what I've heard, it's not a place I'd like to ever work.

I did a websearch for Ming Chuan University and found this story from the China Post about Ming Chuan aka MCU getting accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education(MSCHE):

Ming Chuan becomes Asia's first US-accredited university
TAIPEI, Taiwan � Taiwan's Ming Chuan University (MCU) has received accreditation from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) to become the first university in Asia to be accredited in the U.S. education system, MCU President Lee Chuan said in a press conference in Taipei. Lee explained that the MSCHE, one of six regional accrediting bodies in the U.S., granted MCU the honor Nov. 18 after more than five years of assessment carried out between 2006 and 2010. World-famous universities including Columbia University, New York University and the University of Pennsylvania are accredited by the MSCHE, according to Lee.

�The accreditation serves as a signal that the quality of Taiwan's higher education is now getting positive attention on the international stage,� he said.

Lee said the achievement means that the academic degrees and credits taken by MCU students are now acknowledged in all of the 524 MSCHE-accredited universities, increasing the opportunities of MCU students to be accepted in U.S. graduate schools and to find jobs on the global market.

Moreover, U.S. students studying at MCU are able to apply for scholarships and student loans offered by the U.S. government, taking effect from the day MCU was granted accreditation, he said.

Tony Lin, director of the Ministry of Education's Bureau of International Cultural and Educational Relations, noted that the Malaysian government has yet to recognize Taiwan's academic degrees, but said the accreditation might help Malaysia reconsider its decision.

�This is more important than just an educational achievement,� Sheila Paskman, American Institute in Taiwan spokeswoman and chief of the institute's Public Affairs Section, said in the press conference.

�Although we are very excited about the increasing exchanges of students that the new accreditation will bring, we are also excited because this is very important for long-term relations between the U.S. and Taiwan, for we will be able to understand more about each other,� she said.

How on earth can such a third-rate school ever get accredited? Why didn't NTU take that honor? Is Ming Chuan really up there with Columbia? Any answers?

Story can be found here: http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/intl-community/2010/12/06/282571/Ming-Chuan.htm

Last edited by romanworld on Mon May 23, 2011 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
7168Riyadh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
National Yunlin University of Science and Technology , Taiwan was advertising a job in which they want the instructor to be on campus 40 hours a week. The salary was not mentioned.

This has been a trend for some time; the universities (and high schools) are simply aping exploitative private sector practices. You see the same trend in the Middle East. At one university I was teaching at we all complained bitterly when we were suddenly ordered to work office hours. For me, it was the end at that job, and I left after working out my contract. It seems to me you may as well get a job in your home country if you're expected to work 40 hours. You should just refuse to work at those places that ask you to work those hours and make it clear that you strongly object to a 40-hour week.
markcmc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7168Riyadh wrote:
Quote:
National Yunlin University of Science and Technology , Taiwan was advertising a job in which they want the instructor to be on campus 40 hours a week. The salary was not mentioned.

This has been a trend for some time; the universities (and high schools) are simply aping exploitative private sector practices. You see the same trend in the Middle East. At one university I was teaching at we all complained bitterly when we were suddenly ordered to work office hours. For me, it was the end at that job, and I left after working out my contract. It seems to me you may as well get a job in your home country if you're expected to work 40 hours. You should just refuse to work at those places that ask you to work those hours and make it clear that you strongly object to a 40-hour week.

The problem is that so many places are doing this. I heard that this has been common practice in many universities in the Middle East for some time.

When I asked one of my Taiwanese colleagues why he had to stay on campus for 35 hours a week, when he is only teaching for 12 hours, he said he didn't know, but that it was a standard requirement. The Taiwanese staff have been doing this for a while, and apparently see nothing strange in taking 23 hours to prepare for 12 hours teaching. Even when they have days with no teaching, they still have to be at work from 9-4.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcmc wrote:
7168Riyadh wrote:
Quote:

The problem is that so many places are doing this. I heard that this has been common practice in many universities in the Middle East for some time.

When I asked one of my Taiwanese colleagues why he had to stay on campus for 35 hours a week, when he is only teaching for 12 hours, he said he didn't know, but that it was a standard requirement. The Taiwanese staff have been doing this for a while, and apparently see nothing strange in taking 23 hours to prepare for 12 hours teaching. Even when they have days with no teaching, they still have to be at work from 9-4.

Simply put, Taiwanese don't value time the way we do. Numerous times I have experienced the lack of respect for time in Taiwan.
forest1979

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good points on this thread but let me, if I may, counter the gist of what has been said.

Yes, coming to Taiwan and seeing the pay an instructor gets looks, well, not fantastic. In facts its a good reason to find work in another country if money is the God. Important as it is there are other notable points to ass. Low pay and add to this the near zero chance of promotion. Most ELCs simply have no experience in promoting their staff. Yet does this matter? No, because if you are Taiwanese an ELC post is a good job. It pays well above the national average wage. It gives plenty of vacation time. Has good social status. So, thinking from the Taiwanese position an instructors job is a good one and if teaching is what you are asked to do, just do that and nothing more. Hence few ELC staff need a PhD or want a PhD!

Now, here's another point to consider. Someone mentioned four-five months off per year. But, did you know for the 16 weeks paid leave per year - you know the time when lots of foreign staff take off overseas at CNY and for long summer breaks - can be stopped because a university is within its right to ask staff not to leave the island during the duration of a contract. At the moment universities dont enact this rule and so stop foreigners from leaving but it may happen, and if so the glamorous vacation allowance will certainly be less attractive.

Likewise there is at some places a minimum number of office hours, but as has been pointed out this varies wildly from place to place. I know some ELC ask for 5 office hours per week, I know others that ask staff to be on site for 35 hours a week. What does this mean? Well, it comes back to the cultural differences in how locals and foreigners perceive their jobs. Many Taiwanese see an ELC post as a career. I know few foreigners who are in Taiwan for a career move! So, being Taiwanese being on campus for 35 hours is no big deal. But for a foreigner earning US$1500 or so basic per month they want time off campus to work part-time. Yet, within MOE regulations you cannot work in a buxiban and can only work 4 additional extra hours at a uni. Hence, foreigners have to work illegally should they want any decent money. And yes, it's a serious joke to think of foreigners earning enough salary to buy property, especially in Taipei. I'm not saying it's impossible but we need to be realistic and say its rare!

On MCU...their bus leaves 6.50 to Gweishan, not at 6.30. Also the full bus scenario has gone off for years. Yes, staff for years have had to get taxis to Gweishan from Taipei. Also, how did they get accreditation? By chucking millions of $s over a number of years at creating flashy presentations that outline their uniqueness, i.e. their international studentship. What MCU have done is spend big, thus, at marketing.
forest1979

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romanworld - MCU faculty have been asked to stipulate if they want to be, in admin terms, researchers or teachers. Those that opt for teaching have to teach more- 1 hour more per week - and receive a lower salary. However for 'researchers', what research they do shall be interesting to see in the near future. Their library, like most in Taiwan, is a joke. Their research output is next to zero. Hence the big pressure to publish now they are affiliated to an accreditation body in the US.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forest1979,

Nice points, well made.

I'm also aware of the power the university holds over teachers during the long summer and winter breaks. I may be wrong because I can't remember the exact details, but a guy I spoke with a couple of years ago in the pub who teaches at the chinese culture college told me that instructors were at one time required to seek permission if they were going to be out off the island for long periods of time during summer vacation - i.e, more than a month. I guess they had to write a letter to the President explaining where they were going, why and for how long. The university could theoretically say, "No!" and there wouldn't be a darn thing the instructor could do about it - unless they quit.

There are 2 interesting blogs in Taiwan by expat university EFL teachers: (1) Michael Turton and (2) Scott Sommers. I tend to agree with the information and tone Turton takes in his writing about teaching at universities in Taiwan. Sommers, on the other hand, has nothing but positive to write about Ming Chuan University. This contradicts what I've heard from talking to other teachers who have worked there. A lot of those people are no longer working there but are teaching at other universities or have left Taiwan to teach in Korea or Japan or the M.E. Ming Chuan University certainly didn't sound as great a place as Sommers made it out to be on his blog.
romanworld

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forest1979 wrote:
Also, how did they get accreditation? By chucking millions of $s over a number of years at creating flashy presentations that outline their uniqueness, i.e. their international studentship. What MCU have done is spend big, thus, at marketing.

Do you mean to say that Ming Chuan University 'bought' accreditation? That smacks of corruption. What exactly does a university have to do to get accredited by the MSCHE? You say the library is a joke. Surely a good library and plentiful shelves stacked full of the great books is a prerequisite for good research?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: