Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to School After Revolution

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yosra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Back to School After Revolution Reply with quote

Asalamu Alaykom,

Can we keep updated on how things are going as we head back to school?

I was supposed to go back to school in Giza tomorrow but it just got cancelled tonight.

I'm not to go in tomorrow. I hear from another teacher that her school in Maadi is also cancelled BUT teachers are to go in tomorrow over there.

My supervisor is saying that maybe our school can ask to have special permission to open Monday or Tuesday. What's up with that? Is it possible that some schools can get the OK?

Personally, I feel that if the issue at hand is the problems in the street, then ALL schools in Giza and Cairo should be postponed until the streets are safe.

Let me know your info and thoughts---because being informed on your own is a REALLY hard thing to accomplish right now.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears private schools may re-open, all within the next couple of weeks, but public schools will remain closed (the administration is, obviously, a bit chaotic right now).

The issue is safely transporting students to school and home as there are no police around - only those managing traffic - and bandits are robbing vehicles in the streets.

There will be no "special permission" to open. Every school is in exactly the same situation and, since everyone is terrified of being accused of being corrupt, baksheesh will not get a school open.

School owners will just have to accept they will pay salaries to teachers who are not working.
Cairoteach

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today the last of the private schools started back. I believe the public schools started last week and the international schools started up several weeks ago.
Yosra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Kids? Spring Break? End of the Year? Reply with quote

Asalamu Alaykom,

Thanks for posting replies to this thread.

Wondering what the situations are at other schools. I only lost one child out of my class (they were brought overseas and are not returning). Is that the same in other classrooms as well?

Our Spring Break is now two days only (Easter Sunday and the Monday following) to make a four-day weekend. How are other schools coping?

As for the end of the year, I don't think we're going longer into summer with a mid-June ending as usual. Anyone else?
Cairoteach

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAC is currently at 80% and we expect to stay there for the rest of this school year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: