Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteer in Cambodia / Conversations w Foreigners - LEGIT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Volunteer in Cambodia / Conversations w Foreigners - LEGIT? Reply with quote

Hey, I have been looking for a way to teach English in SE Asia for 5-6 months and I stumbled upon this program called Volunteer in Cambodia http://www.volunteerincambodia.org/index.php and I was curious if anyone knew anything about it? I know ppl on this board hate on volunteer teaching as it lowers wages for "real" teachers etc. but it doesn't make sense for me to pay to get my TESOL to teach for just 5 months. I've been saving alot of cash and figure 850 for 3 months of room/board is less than I would have paid while looking for work upon arrival anyway. Any comments would be welcome, although what I really want to know is if this program is a big rip off, meaning, anyone familiar with living/working conditions etc? Does it even exist? You get the gist. Thanks.
80daze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about this company but I do know that companies in Thailand that do the same thing also get paid by the schools. In other words you pay them to teach and the school pays them for "YOU" to teach!

So they get paid twice for doing nothing and you pay for the privilege of being exploited!

Again, I don't know about this company!
sirenii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Volunteer in Cambodia - Conversations with Foreigners Reply with quote

Jski, I haven't participated yet in this program, but I am very impressed with the work of CRDC, and intend to volunteer for one of their rural Cambodia development projects. I have 25+ years in nonprofit administration in the States and I've looked over all CRDC's materials. I believe they're legit or I wouldn't be applying for one of their projects. The Conversations with Foreigners program is a fundraising arm of CRDC and a valuable means to create revenue to continue their development projects in impoverished areas. The students you'll teach in Phnom Penh pay a very nominal fee to the school to cover administration costs. Your accommodation costs are low for a volunteer situation abroad and include some revenue for the nonprofit. It's not like the other volunteer programs you see online which are only profit motivated. As I said, I have no direct experience with them yet, but am favorably impressed with their programs and documentation. Go, enjoy, fall in love with teaching, get certified, and then launch your career in TEFL/TESOL with the rest of us!
calmallamadown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWF is very legit, and everything sirenii says is accurate. I've been working with them for a number of months. Absolutely no complaints about living or working conditions. It's a great introduction to both Cambodia and ESL. Feel free to send me a message if you have any other questions.
hogiekj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Volunteer in Cambodia program Reply with quote

I'm new to teaching ..I've done a TESOL cert with some prac. teaching and I do some occasional stand-in teaching so my experience in limited. The Volunteer in Cambodia scheme suggests an allocation of 25 hours per week of face to face teaching. This strikes me as a fairly full-on workload. Surely with prep time, even on a hour for hour basis, you'd hardly see the light of day from Monday to Friday. Someone tell me I'm wrong..
calmallamadown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At CWF, you're expected to teach 4 hours a day plus one backup hour. You only teach the backup hour if another teacher is sick. Sometimes, if there are a lot of volunteers in a given semester, only 3 hours a day are required. I've observed a lot of volunteers going through this program, and for the most part they find the first week or two very busy and stressful (like you, most have limited or no teaching experience), but once they get to know their students and get used to lesson planning they have a lot of free time.

Hope that clears everything up. Let me know if you have any other questions, although as you can tell I don't use this board very often.
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Volunteer in Cambodia program Reply with quote

hogiekj wrote:
I'm new to teaching ..I've done a TESOL cert with some prac. teaching and I do some occasional stand-in teaching so my experience in limited. The Volunteer in Cambodia scheme suggests an allocation of 25 hours per week of face to face teaching. This strikes me as a fairly full-on workload. Surely with prep time, even on a hour for hour basis, you'd hardly see the light of day from Monday to Friday. Someone tell me I'm wrong..

You're right.
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Volunteer in Cambodia / Conversations w Foreigners - LEG Reply with quote

jski wrote:
I've been saving alot of cash and figure 850 for 3 months of room/board is less than I would have paid while looking for work upon arrival anyway.

I know several people who have worked there for brief stints. As far as I know, it's perfectly legitimate. Some of the branches are in dusty far-flung corners of the city, which will be a hassle to get to.

As for the cost, you would not save any money going this route. You can find a job pretty fast there that will keep you afloat. Just afloat, not much more, especially without any TESOL cert., I'm afraid.
calmallamadown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, not sure what school you're referring to, Skyblue, but just to clear everything up, CWF only has one location and it's near the Russian Market. If you choose to live at the volunteer house you are a 10 minute walk away from the school. It's also fairly easy to find an affordable apartment close by if you'd rather live on your own.
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calmallamadown wrote:
Hey, not sure what school you're referring to, Skyblue, but just to clear everything up, CWF only has one location and it's near the Russian Market. If you choose to live at the volunteer house you are a 10 minute walk away from the school. It's also fairly easy to find an affordable apartment close by if you'd rather live on your own.

They have another house with a big sign on the road that goes from the Vietnamese Bridge past Sovanna and on to Stung Meanche, no?
calmallamadown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only location is on st. 271. Near Sovanna, but closer to the Russian Market. Is that the street you mean?
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I know that one. I thought I saw another one further south, but that was some time ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: