Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching w/ BA of English, no TEFL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Teaching w/ BA of English, no TEFL Reply with quote

Hello. I am considering teaching English in Costa Rica. I have a Bachelor of Arts in English from a US university, but no TEFL or related certification. I have 2 years experience in education and early childhood care. I have 5 years experience in social work. What are the chances I would be able to find decent work in Costa Rica? Also, what kind of pay should I expect as a base? Are there a lot of opportunities for private lessons?
jprimm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, you really won't find a great job and expect no more than 8 dollars an hour....and have savings as it is not that cheap....just the truth...
tuanis mae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the days of just showing up to a country, and just because you speak english, landing a job easily are long gone. There are very few schools that hire without a TESOL or TEFL, and the ones that do are probably not very good schools. I recommend that if youre going to come all the way down here to teach english, do it right and take a TESOL course first.
ldragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks people. I've heard Costa Rica is one of the countries that doesn't 'require' a TEFL certificate, but that source is a little outdated.
dhsampso

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one friend teach at one or two Institutes in San Pedro/Los Yoses without a TEFL cert, but it is a little rare these days with so many teachers having TEFL/TESOL/CETLA. I think she worked for ProLingua at one point and she eventually landed a job working in a private elementary school. So, she fared very well. However, a teacher in a primary school is also the nurse (no school nurses, so gotta watch the kids all the time) and don't expect to get too much support from the school administration with class supplies and nagging parents (I guess nagging parents is usual, but in Latin America it can get you fired real easily).

I made roughly $6/hr. as a teacher, but I had a salary, so I was lucky not to have weekly fluctuations on my income. Others pay more, but you may have the class-by-class payment scheme where if your class gets canceled you don't get paid. I was also lucky to have almost all my classes on-site at the school where I worked (Maximo Nivel). A lot of people have to travel around and that can get old real quick; especially when going to the beach involves long bus rides. You can definitely make more at other places and with private classes, if you're allowed (some contracts with schools don't allow you. Then again, you're working illegally most of the time, so how is the contract legal, haha.)

Your BA and experience will help, but TEFL lets an employer know that you have methodology to teach English as a foreign language. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: