Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job offer in Kuwait.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
siano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Job offer in Kuwait. Reply with quote

Hello,
I've been offered a job in a school in Kuwait for September 2011, the offer sounds good (in comparison to the money/working conditions I have now in Turkey) but I have no idea about what it may be like to live in Kuwait. I've lived in Turkey for the last 4 years and its a very relaxed Islamic country, there's a lot of things to do and the nightlife is great in Istanbul, how does this differ to working and living in Kuwait?

Question time:
1. Is 850 KD a good salary? Can I live comfortably? and save at the same time? (an apartment is included in the offer)

2. Do school obtain working permits generally?

3. Whats life for single women like there? I know its not compulsory to cover the head or wear an abaya but what is acceptable? what isn't?

4. Is alcohol strictly forbidden everywhere?

5. Are there sex police?? like there was in Syria?

I'm sure these are all common westerner questions but I really need some insight to this... It's a big step I've wanted to take for some time and I feel this year I'm ready to make my way into the middle east.

I'm a qualified pre-school teacher from the UK and I've been offered a job at a school named HUBS, can anyone give any info?

Thanks so much in advance.

S. x
huh?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. 850 KD isn't terrible, but it isn't particularly good, unless you have a yearly round trip ticket home and your own unshared flat in a decent area. It also depends on your workload. If you are single, you could live pretty comfortably, but not extravagantly on 500 KD a month, and use the rest for traveling, savings, etc. It is all relative.

2. The school should get the working permit for you. If they don't, I wouldn't want the job.

3. You need to dress modestly and professionally at work, but outside you can wear whatever you want, depending on how much attention you want. You don't need to wear an abaya. I've met women whose manner of dressing makes me blush. That definitely is not the norm, but it does highlight the fact that this isn't Saudi.

4. Yes, alcohol is strictly forbidden. If you are going to indulge, be discrete. Personally, I don't think its worth the risk. One more reason to look forward to your summer holidays.

5. No sex police, unless you mean the ones that chat you up. Or maybe your neighbors, depending on where you live.

I've never heard of the school, but then I am not that clued in to what is going on.

If you meet the right people and have the right attitude, Kuwait is a lot of fun, but don't expect the kind of cultural/visual stimulation you get in Istanbul. Parts of the city are dumps, but there's kind of a vibrancy that partly makes up for that. You need to be outgoing and positive, or have a pretty full inner life with things you like doing and can do here. There are lots of people who can barely stand a year, but lots of others who spend years here, living full lives. Everyone is different, and you never really know until you visit a place.

If you are sharing a flat, your flatmate will be a huge factor in how much you enjoy life here. And try to find out more about the school - looking at posts on this forum, you will see that there are a number of schools that are not very pleasant to work in.
shack62

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As huh? mentioned, Kuwait can be a lot of fun.

(These don't correspond with your questions.)

1) Try to surround yourself with people who actually enjoy Kuwait. There are a lot of complainers in Kuwait. They will only suck the life out of you!

2) Most people will tell you that all there is to do in Kuwait is eat and shop. This is mostly true. However, you just have to know where to look. I would suggest taking a gander at www.248am.com and looking at the events/activities sections and also keeping up with the blog. The blogger is a resident expat and does a fine job of keeping readers updated on Kuwait happenings. Later on, I'll try to compose a list of things to do.

3) Yes, modesty is advised! I would make sure to have cleavage covered and not wear anything shorter than right above/at the knee. During Ramadan, I stayed a little more covered and did not expose my knees. All in all, I found it's better to be overly modest and it shows respect.

4) If you are a fair-skinned beauty, be prepared for the stares and the harmless "stalking". Ignore them (meaning DO NOT look at them)! They will go away. One thing I found helpful: purchase a cheap ring with a CZ. Point to it and tell them you are married or have a husband. Most of the time, they will apologize and go away.

I can think of more to write, however, it's very late where I am at. I'll try to post more tomorrow.

Adios.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: