Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice on work in Cusco

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taty283

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Need advice on work in Cusco Reply with quote

Hi there, I recently visited Cusco and absolutely loved it there.

Would like to come work there later in the year (I'm assuming I need to save up some money as you don't get paid much over there).

I have a TESOL(previously taught children in South Korea) and would prefer to teach English, BUT I wouldn't mind bar work or any other work you guys could suggest?

I'm a fairly attractive female(if that helps at all) in my late 20's so would definitely not mind a bar job to make ends meet (How hard are those to get?).

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help with info. I sent you a PM.

Yep, you're right, you won't get paid much. Expect maybe $600 a month. Costs of living are lower, but still. It's hard to save. I'm back in Asia and have saved more in a year and still been able to travel, study, pay for my husband's flights, than I would have made in a year in Peru.

I'ts pretty easy to get a teaching job, good jobs are hard to find. YOu'll probably be working in an institute, teaching kids.

The fack that you're attractive and young, won't help you jobwise like it does in Asia, it'll get you unwanted catcalls and groped on the streets.

Hope this helps
Dee35

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NG is totally right! the 'meegook' [foreigner] look will get you very far in Korea, but 'gringas'....not so much in Cusco.
And saving is IMPOSSIBLE in Cusco [maybe it is possible but not if you want to live in a somewhat modern standard...maybe I am a snob, but I NEED internet, a fridge and hot water in my house]... so my housing has been almost half of my salary. I tried the first two months without and I was miserable, but, hey, maybe others can live different [I was spoiled by Korea].... Basically, bring your savings and plan on using most of it if you want to experience any of the wonderful things Cusco has to offer... I definitely recommend it. but just know, you will not come out ahead money wise. [culturally and personally = yes]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: