Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anglo-Hellenic Teacher Recruitment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eurobound

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Anglo-Hellenic Teacher Recruitment Reply with quote

Hi.

Anyone been through this UK based recruiter for jobs in Greece before? Here's the link to their advert on TEFL.com...

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=45276

If yes, how did you find the experience? Were they a straight up kind of group who found you the sort of employment that they promise in their ad?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, and welcome,

I have not used Anglo-Hellenic to find a job, so I can't provide the kind of information you are looking for. However, I did exchange a few e-mails with them a couple of years ago, and I still receive messages as a member of a Yahoo group ([email protected].) When I talked to them, I still hoped to teach in Europe, and had not yet done any of the research that would subsequently tell me how unlikely it would be for an American with minimal qualifications to land a job in Greece. I can tell you that Anglo-Hellenic was not at all straighforward about the Schengen visa obstacles confronting North Americans. I cannot say that they out and out lied, but they definitely gave me misleading information, and were not forthcoming about the difficulties involved. And it seems that they continue to encourage non-EU applicants to believe that they will be able to find work in Greece. While this particular issue may not apply to you, their handling of it would prompt me to ask LOTS of questions to get a better sense of their reliability and integrity.

Wink
eurobound

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the heads-up. I'm a Brit, but if they mis-led you then that doesn't say great things about them in general I suppose. I'll apply and see how it goes. Thanks again.
eurobound

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, did you EVER find in Greece?
maruss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Greece Reply with quote

The economy there is in dire straits and the overall situation in the country very uncertain.There is a serious possibility that the government will be forced to default on its loans and face the same situation as Ireland and Portugal,rather than be able to control the social unrest which is becoming more and more frequent as it tries to implement austerity measures!
Not a good time to look for work there obviously,but a good value holiday destination as they have reduced prices to attract tourists.......
eurobound

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applied almost two weeks ago now and haven't even received an acknowledgement. Oh well...
Sublime

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also seen an advert for this 'agency' today, so am on here searching for more info. The only thing I can conclude so far is that their website seems kind of amateurish.

On another note, does anyone have any info on how best to apply directly for jobs rather than have to go through agencies?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the comments I've seen over the years, I don't think they're the best company to go through.
Sublime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update slightly on this. I did see another advert on another site for the same company and I decided to apply (this was about 2 months ago) and I never heard anything back - even though I have since seen the same advert posted more recently. I also know of acquaintances who also haven't heard back from them.

So really I don't think they are an entirely serious company.......or even if they exist at all.
hellasnut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Word of warning.............. Reply with quote

Apparently Greece is becoming/ has become quite expensive - the cost of living is going through the roof. Many brits living on Crete have seen big increases in prices through tax, although rent still looks reasonable. It's a beautiful country and what is happening to it is not good....................
disraeli123

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Working and Living in Greece upadate........................ Reply with quote

In January I visited Volos Greece at that time salaries were being slashed by 10 to 20 percent by employers and the government was on the verge of collapse, because of the strikes and the austerity measures. I have visited Greece a number of times over the years salaries for teachers have never been very good and the country was borrowing so much money that the crisis it is in now was going to come some day. YOU CAN"T BORROW FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT is happening is the GREEKS OWN DOING you can't borrow forever MAYBE THEY'LL LEARN THAT LESSON!!!!!!! My friends in Greece have sold there house aand moved to England and do not plan on going back to GREECE any time soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad
Dancebiscuits

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Yes Anglo-Hellenic are a real company and seem to have the monopoly on Greek recruitment, but actually they're not so great. You have to go to an interview in London at your own expense, after which you're very likely to be offered a job. The jobs come with housing - but it's really grim in general - and the salaries are anywhere between 600-800 Euros a month. I didn't accept the position I was offered in the end, it wasn't enough to live on given how ill-equipped the accommodation was.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I phoned Anglo-Hellenic and they were very honest with me. Said they could fix me up but that the salary would not be enough to live on (!!). The lady in charge explained that a lot of the people they hired had other income or capital which they used to supplement the meagre salary paid by the Hellenes.

I suspect that since the financial melt-down in Southern Europe it is even worse. We live in "interesting times"

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough to stay far away from this company, even without the reports of dubious practices in past years:

"JOB OPPORTUNITIES IN GREECE FOR AMERICAN CITIZENS"

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=56040

The same ad is currently running on other TEFL job sites.

Quote:

Please note that this opportunity is available only to US citizens whose first language is English.

Only available to . . .let's see. . .82% of approximately 316,000,000 US citizens. Well, that certainly narrows the field of competition! Rolling Eyes

elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are impossible to get hold of! I've been trying for 3 days but nada! Anyone else experiencing the same?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: