Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maximo Nivel - Antigua
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chelseagglass90



Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Antigua, Guatemala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

excuse me, but my time and experience at Maximo were legit and real. and my words genuine. you can check out my facebook page if you would like and see how real my life here in Antigua is, and how amazing TEFL was for me, with Phil, Ana, Paty and Max.

http://www.facebook.com/chelseagg?ref=tn_tnmn

perhaps the reason people are posting about Maximo and Phil on here is because we are happy with our experience and would like to give Maximo Nivel the good name that it deserves. thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 8829
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To chelseagglass90, so you were 19 when you started teaching? No degree I take it?

I second what HLJHLJ says. Looks a bit suspicious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 8829
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

chelseagglass90 wrote:
excuse me, but my time and experience at Maximo were legit and real. and my words genuine. you can check out my facebook page if you would like and see how real my life here in Antigua is, and how amazing TEFL was for me, with Phil, Ana, Paty and Max.

http://www.facebook.com/chelseagg?ref=tn_tnmn

perhaps the reason people are posting about Maximo and Phil on here is because we are happy with our experience and would like to give Maximo Nivel the good name that it deserves. thank you.

While I understand that you want to defend them, how come you've just registered now?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
HLJHLJ



Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 801

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

chelseagglass90 wrote:

perhaps the reason people are posting about Maximo and Phil on here is because we are happy with our experience and would like to give Maximo Nivel the good name that it deserves. thank you.



That may have been your intention, but it's not really working out that way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chelseagglass90



Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Antigua, Guatemala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: respost Reply with quote

no, i was 19 when I first came to Guatemala. I graduated high school when I was 16. I got my TEFL one week before my 21st birthday which was September 2nd of this year. Before that I worked as a tour guide while working to finish my degree in Sustainable Community Development from Prescott College through independent studies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 8829
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: respost Reply with quote

chelseagglass90 wrote:
no, i was 19 when I first came to Guatemala. I graduated high school when I was 16. I got my TEFL one week before my 21st birthday which was September 2nd of this year. Before that I worked as a tour guide while working to finish my degree in Sustainable Community Development from Prescott College through independent studies.

ok, i also finished at 16 and graduated uni when i was 20

Though, isn't Prescott College like the U of Phoenix?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chelseagglass90



Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Antigua, Guatemala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: actually Reply with quote

no it is a 4 year accredited university, before that i went to 4 community collegs and a university in Vermont. I don't understand why people on here want to be so competitive and negative... doesn't make sense to me.

i wish you all luck in your endeavors. Maximo went well for me. Never said it was perfect, nothing is. But I was personally very happy and feel that the majority of people would be to with the program and the service they provided.

ciao! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 8829
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: actually Reply with quote

chelseagglass90 wrote:
no it is a 4 year accredited university, before that i went to 4 community collegs and a university in Vermont. I don't understand why people on here want to be so competitive and negative... doesn't make sense to me.

Wow, 6 colleges. Why did you bounce around a lot?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chelseagglass90



Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Antigua, Guatemala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: because Reply with quote

I was 16, i had no idea what i wanted to do with my life, and I just wanted to travel, live in different places, study different things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HLJHLJ



Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 801

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: actually Reply with quote

chelseagglass90 wrote:
no it is a 4 year accredited university, before that i went to 4 community collegs and a university in Vermont. I don't understand why people on here want to be so competitive and negative... doesn't make sense to me.


When new members register JUST to post a glowing defence of a school which has been criticised it looks suspicious. When the new member also has poor English skills, it looks even worse. You may indeed be a genuine, happy alumnus, with no other agenda or motive. However, you come across as a stooge.

In any case, it seems like McMurphy_RP's original analysis was pretty much correct. The course is fine if you intend to work for Maximo Nivel afterwards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chelseagglass90



Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Antigua, Guatemala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an online forum not english class or an exam, i am semi working my last shift at the bar i work at here, so i apologize if my grammar isn't perfect. again... i wasn't a member on here only for this, i have been following dave's esl cafe before i even took my tefl. I am not posting on here anymore because I find it to be foolish. I can't bother to worry about your opinion or listen to you criticize me when you don't even know me. Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chelseagglass90



Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Posts: 8
Location: Antigua, Guatemala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: also Reply with quote

defense is spelled defenSe with an S not a C.. and i think you are making this personal.. which isn't ridiculous and unprofessional, calling me a stooge. you won't get anywhere in life being so rude and condescending to people who are post their own positive thoughts on a PUBLIC forum. I didn't mean to cause any trouble, I just saw some of the negativity voiced about Maximo. I am not saying that there claims weren't valid for their experience, I obviously can't speak to that. I can only say that I had a genuinely good experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HLJHLJ



Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 801

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: also Reply with quote

chelseagglass90 wrote:
defense is spelled defenSe with an S not a C.. and i think you are making this personal.. which isn't ridiculous and unprofessional, calling me a stooge. you won't get anywhere in life being so rude and condescending to people who are post their own positive thoughts on a PUBLIC forum. I didn't mean to cause any trouble, I just saw some of the negativity voiced about Maximo. I am not saying that there claims weren't valid for their experience, I obviously can't speak to that. I can only say that I had a genuinely good experience.


I'm sorry that you have taken it personally, you said you didn't understand what the problem was, so I was trying to explain it to you. You are quite right that this is neither an English class, nor an exam, but again, I was explaining why your posts are seen as suspicious.

Incidentally, defence is the British English spelling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrewg



Joined: 13 Dec 2011
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id say maximo nivel is a decent school... I think RP_McMurphy's analysis is correct though. But it depends on what your looking for and a lot of us just want the piece of paper when it's done.

I taught for awhile at Oxford Coban, I wouldn't recommend that school... poorly organized and they expect teachers to pick up the slack when they're poor planning (inevitably) causes problems. I have heard directly from the director that they have never had a single Coban teacher finish out their contract... which would lead one to make the connection that it's probably the school rather than the ever-rotating cast of teacher's flowing through there.

I did, in the end, make decent money doing private tutoring though. 75q/hr for some classes and 50q for others... up to 130q for for group classes. There's a good market in coban if you have the sense (and spanish) to go about some self promotion and networking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 8829
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelseagglass90 wrote:
this is an online forum not english class or an exam, i am semi working my last shift at the bar i work at here, so i apologize if my grammar isn't perfect. again... i wasn't a member on here only for this, i have been following dave's esl cafe before i even took my tefl. I am not posting on here anymore because I find it to be foolish. I can't bother to worry about your opinion or listen to you criticize me when you don't even know me. Thanks.

I'm not the one to talk about typos since I regularly have them due to trying to feed the baby and type, BUT that being said, if I were a newbie I'd try to be more careful Wink

chelseagglass90 wrote:
defense is spelled defenSe with an S not a C.. and i think you are making this personal.. I didn't mean to cause any trouble, I just saw some of the negativity voiced about Maximo. I am not saying that there claims weren't valid for their experience, I obviously can't speak to that. I can only say that I had a genuinely good experience.

Um, HLJHLJ is British and in British English, "defenCe" is correct.

Just out of curiosity chelseagglass90, how did you find out about this forum?

I think the bottomline is that MN isn't a CELTA, but it isn't an online cert either. It has 120 hours as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC