Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sdm Language School Sisli

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NurC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Sdm Language School Sisli Reply with quote

I have searched for posts related to Sdm Language School in Istanbul, but none of them are current. Does anyone have info on this school? I understand that it is a one-on-one tutoring service, but their ad is vague concerning what that entails and where it takes place.

Thank you!
Shalana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my friends have worked at SDM and they both recommended it to me. They are both living in different countries now. If I remember correctly, most of their classes are one-on-one, but there may be a couple of small classes. The only thing I didn't like is that you do work 6 days a week with only Fridays off if you work for them full-time.
NurC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Shalana, I will check out their online site as well.
lexharvey

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I was wanting to know if anyone else had worked for SDM before? I am looking for a teaching role in Istanbul/Izmir and I have a skype interview with them this week.
Just wondering if anyone had any reviews on them....thanks
asalak

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDM? couple of vowels missing there, shurely?
NurC

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: SDM Language School Sisli Reply with quote

I cancelled the interview I had with SDM. Their ad says "$2000/mth USD minimum, but they sent me a contract offering only 15TL/hr. (On the average the schools pay 18-22). A teacher would have to work 50 hours each week to earn that! When I wrote asking for an explanation, they never replied.

If you are interested in the one on one tutoring jobs you can pm me. I met with One World Lang. Academy. I will let you know what I think about them. They pay 30TL/hr but all private lessons and no benefits.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Their ad says "$2000/mth USD minimum, but they sent me a contract offering only 15TL/hr. (On the average the schools pay 18-22). A teacher would have to work 50 hours each week to earn that! When I wrote asking for an explanation, they never replied.

Either that or they want a 30 contact-hour week from you and expect the Turkish lira to reach parity with the greenback ...

Or they want a 20 hour week from you and expect 1YTL to equal $1.54

Whichever way you look at it they are barking mad ...
lexharvey

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the replies.
I spoke with them today. They said it would be 2600TL-3500TL per month doing 35-45 hours a week. so that works out about what you said saying you get 2600TL for 35 hours.
I am not sure what the going rate is-I worked in Bodrum last year for a tour operator but was getting the typical wage of 400 a month. Obviously I am expecting more for teaching. I have a degree and Celta and I am quite serious about it. Any advice would be great.
thanks!
BuleGila

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: SDM Language School Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I worked there briefly a little while ago and I must admit, it had to be one of the worst language schools that I have come across.
I have many years of experience teaching in a wide range of countries and this place was terrible.
Students are paying approx. 70tl for an hour with a native teacher and the teacher only sees 18tl of that.

They promise a minimum of $2000us a month and this is a rarity.
They do not offer any legal paper work so it would only take a random inspection from the authorities and you would be in big trouble.

Also I would like to warn all females applying for the job to be wary of the owner, Akin.
He promises the world and is a very good salesman but if you refuse his sexual advances and/or bruise his ego, he will make you life very difficult.

They always hold back some of your wages so that you cannot run out on them without losing money.

There was also a lot of racism casually thrown around the office. Being from what some may call a 'minority group' myself, I found this insulting.

Cutting my losses and leaving that place was the best decision that I have ever made.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDM Language School in Turkey is just another EFL institute...they promise one thing and deliver another in regards to salary. This is the "norm" in Turkey...there are tens of thpusands of EFL teachers looking to earn a decent wage so don't expect the grass to be greener or roses to be rosier here when it comes to salaries or wages! Shocked
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle Eyes wrote:
SDM Language School in Turkey is just another EFL institute...they promise one thing and deliver another in regards to salary. This is the "norm" in Turkey...there are tens of thpusands of EFL teachers looking to earn a decent wage so don't expect the grass to be greener or roses to be rosier here when it comes to salaries or wages! Shocked

I think when it comes to teaching a group class or any class for that matter, wages are related to experience.

A relatively inexperienced teacher should be grateful for 18 TL/hour which may also compensate for no rent allowance.

As for one on one you would grateful for 25-30 TL/hr. More experienced teachers would expect more. I know some newbies getting 70 TL/hr but these people know how to hustle despite their lack of experience.

Dude
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: