Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attending CELTA school in location (Warning- I'm non-EU)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zcpet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Attending CELTA school in location (Warning- I'm non-EU) Reply with quote

I am an American student who will graduate with a BA (liberal arts) in 1.5 years (hopefully). Now, I understand that a non-EU passport holder trying to find jobs anywhere in Europe from behind his computer desk has a snowflake's chance in summer of success.

Is taking a CELTA course at a certified school in a possible destination a possible opportunity to get a foot in the door? My dream location would be in Germany (specifically in the East) or Austria (I can speak passable traveler's German at the moment), but I'm willing/eager to look at just about any location in central/eastern Europe, including countries outside of the EU.

I'd like to think that I could learn enough of the local language from now until then to survive. At some point in time I'd also like to apply for a Masters program abroad, though I'm not sure when, chronologically speaking.

So tell me, what are your thoughts on this idea? Good, bad? Laughable?

Thanks.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austria is a VERY unlikely target in terms of realistic aspirations, but it is possible for a US citizen to get a free lance work permit in Germany. It's tough, though, all around - go to the German forum above for more info.

Czech Rep, Poland, Slovakia are all legal options as well. And you are correct that taking a CELTA or equivalent course in the country is a very useful bridge.

Here are some basic considerations to keep in mind:

As a US citizen, you have only 90 days from landing in Europe to get legal paperwork filed for a work visa - this requires a contract from a school or an application on your part to get a freelance permit (google Schengen zone if you are not familiar). If you are unsuccessful in this time period, you nave to leave the zone (not the individual country) for 90 days before trying again.

Most contracts in the region are Sept/Oct through June, so the optimal time is to come take a course in August, and look for work in week 3 of the course onwards, to maximize your chances of finding something in the time period.

There are obviously start-up costs here; first paycheck, best case scenario, will be end October, and landlords generally want at least 1 months' rent as security and one month up front. And you may have to pay an agent or other costs. It can be expensive to get started.

Salaries in this region are subsistence level - you can make enough to live on frugally, and to travel around the region, but not to pay off debts back home or to save up money to buy anything big.

good that you are planning ahead; you can probably succeed by laying realistic plans, saving up money in advance, and asking around here - there's lots of good info available.
zcpet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply.

The wages don't bother me as much. I don't think this would be a full-time career for me, but rather a chance to live abroad/travel and get basic work experience (which will hopefully help for grad school or future education/work).

I'll look more into Germany for sure. Certainly it'd be somewhat less difficult going to the urban areas in the east, no? As for the other countries-- how beneficial is knowledge of the local language? As I said, I would hope to be able to speak elementary 'insert language', but that process would take much longer than it would take me to get to B level German.

Going to Prague or Brno would be fantastic but it seems that Poland is a much larger potential market, with probably less teachers.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Czech Shocked and Poland forums.

In big city (such as Prague) you don't need local language much beyond bare basics.

Poland is a bigger country, and therefore a bigger market, but less teachers? I don't think so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: