Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

south africa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: south africa? Reply with quote

i know that english is pretty widely spoken in s.a. but since they have 11 official languages i would think there is room for teachers of the king's english. anyone have any insight?
localhero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: south africa? Reply with quote

There are numerous language schools in SA, eg, in Cape Town there's iHouse, inlingua, even CELTA training. Teaching in schools is different, but there's some great private schools.
wilco

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen's, dear boy, Queen's. Taffy isn't on the throne yet and his Grampa is long gone.

Dave
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Africa interests me too. Is it possible/easy to get a work permit once you've landed a job there?
localhero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: south africa? Reply with quote

yes, here's more info
http://www.southafrica.info/travel/documents/workpermits.htm
AdrianG4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need to a B.A. to get land a job in J-berg of C-town ?

Tesol, a couple years of experience (1 Mexico/1 China) ..
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Africa exports teachers. Why should they start importing them now ?
kda213

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would imagine competition is high
BigIn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: south africa? Reply with quote

mnone wrote:
i know that english is pretty widely spoken in s.a. but since they have 11 official languages i would think there is room for teachers of the king's english. anyone have any insight?

I am an ESL teacher in South Africa so I can give you some insight. There are only two cities where you can expect this kind of job and that is Cape Town and Pretoria. Strangely enough not Johannesburg.

I have never done this job in CT so I can't comment on the scene there but in PTA there is only two schools where you can expect to find full-time employment with a 'decent' salary. They Getting to Know English Centre and Easy English. I have worked at both and honest you want to work at Easy E. At getting the woman who owns the place is extremely negative, they use pathetic self-made course material, quantity is put before quality( thus the classes are packed like sardines and most of the time students get placed in the wrong level because the class they are suppose to go to are too full.)

At both schools you should expect to get a starting salary between R4000-R4500 which honestly is not enough to get by with. At Easy E if your performance warrants it you will get a raise eventually but it will be minimum. At Getting you shouldn't even dream of a raise.

The reason the salaries are so low is because English speakers and teachers are abundant in SA. Yes we have 11 official languages but it is already expected of everybody to speak English since it's the unofficial national language. Coupled with a high unemployment rate finding a job in SA in general is difficult and the employers exploit that since they know employees don't have any other option oher than taking what they can get.

This is also something you need to keep in mind if you want to come do ESL teaching in SA. If you are not already in SA there is no point in even applying as it is much easier for schools to just hire somebody who is already here.

I hope that helped.
Pikgitina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: south africa? Reply with quote

BigIn wrote:
I am an ESL teacher in South Africa so I can give you some insight. There are only two cities where you can expect this kind of job and that is Cape Town and Pretoria. Strangely enough not Johannesburg.

Everything you say is pretty accurate except for the above. Johannesburg has at least two well-known schools. In the past, they both had contracts with Gabonese and Angolan oil and mining industries - they might still now. I have a feeling that both of them offer CELTA training and IH Language Lab has also run DELTAs. There are schools in Durban as well, but as you say the case is with Pretoria, the scene is tiny and there is lots of competition.

As for Cape Town, there are plenty of schools: some excellent ones with high standards and then some who are mediocre or downright appalling. In other words, standard EFL stuff. The money is also much better in Cape Town (R6500 - R10000 monthly), but still not enough to really make a decent living. It is ideally suited, IMO, to early twenty-somethings and housewives who are simply doing it because they love it or because they want to have extra spending money. Having said that, some teachers suppotrt entire families on what they earn at these schools.

As someone who has been involved in hiring in SA before, I can assure you it is not easy for foreigners to obtain work permits for most jobs in SA. Unemployment is HIGH and we have more than enough unskilled and skilled workers for all sectors. Pity that, but hey, the locals have to come first, right?

Cool
Devorah82

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what schools in Cape Town should I look at for employment (full an/or part time)?

I'm South African and I'll soon be qualified but I would like to get experience here before I head out.

Thanks,

Dee
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JN

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about universities in Cape Town? Do foreign students come? Is there a market at universities there, like there is in the U.S.? Just curious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: