Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To train in US or Chile?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Another Joe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: To train in US or Chile? Reply with quote

Hello,

My wife and I are looking at moving to Chile. In order to learn the culture a bit, give us time to get at least a rudimentary grasp of Spanish and get to know our way around, I'm looking at teaching English. We'll have a little bit of income, though it looks like just enough to get by based on what I've read so far.
I want to get the best training I can. Having a BA and experience in a professional atmosphere as well as having worked blue collar much of my life, I think I can be pretty adaptable. But I know culture shock can overwhelm just about anyone. With this in mind, would I be better off getting my training in Chile or the U.S.? Would the local training offer more opportunity and insight into the society and culture of Chile? Or would it be more efficient to simply get trained here in the U.S. before heading down?
I've read comments here about various training schools. But I know things can change and there's not a lot that's very recent. If it would be better to get my training in Chile, which is the best school with the best certification and offering the education that would equip me the best?
I would want to be in Santiago for at least the first year because we have some contacts there. The two schools I've looked at so far have been BridgeTEFL and The TEFL Academy. I'm not interested voluntary stuff either. I'd like to get a good education and then as good of a job as I can.

Thanks for any insights.
Joe
Another Joe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some thought it worth peeking in on anyways. Thanks for looking. Smile

I've read in some older posts that there is no CELTA certification available in Chile. However, it appears that the Instituto Chileno Britanico de Cultura does offer CELTA training and certification. I've exchanged a couple of emails with them this week.

Still hoping for some coaching.
Dia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i did my training in Chile, and i dont think there is a HUGE advantage, though you will have that extra time while you are studying to get used to the culture, possibly get settled and start your job search, and ask questions abut how to get started...

i dont feel the training itself really has much to do with it in terms of content. there are definitely examples to be given which could specifically apply to Chile, which will probably be mentioned (for example chileans tend to chop off pronunciation of word endings) in a course taken in Chile, though not in a US one... however you could pick up on that stuff quickly enough if you were to take the course in the US then move to Santiago.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
though you will have that extra time while you are studying to get used to the culture, possibly get settled and start your job search, and ask questions abut how to get started...

Hi, Joe, and welcome! I have no experience working in Chile, but since you aren't being inundated with advice here, I'll add my two cents worth. I agree with Dia that these (above quote) are some of the main advantages of doing your training in country. It can make for a much softer landing to have an immediate support group--your trainers and fellow trainees--in your new country, and can ease the initial culture shock by helping to orient you as you settle in. Your trainers and other school staff will have local knowledge and contacts that can be immensely helpful to you in your job search. Knowing which employers are best avoided and which employers will treat you well can give you a big head start; and a recommendation from someone known personally to a potential employer is invaluable.

And, of course, as Dia mentioned, during your course you will also do your practice teaching with Chilean students, which will make for one less new thing to adjust to as you begin your job.
Another Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dia and Story,

I appreciate the response. We're trying to figure out which school to attend still, but are leaning toward Bridge TEFL (IDELT) in Santiago for the very reasons you gave. I'm hoping to make it in January, but current commitments might push that back a bit.

Any more insights are appreciated. This is all pretty new to me. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: