Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AUC TEFL FELLOWSHIP INTERVIEW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cairo1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: AUC TEFL FELLOWSHIP INTERVIEW Reply with quote

I have a Skype interview with AUC next week for the TEFL Fellowship. I was wondering if anyone who has been through it could give me some advice...

What type of questions will they ask?
How long do the interviews usually last?
Any helpful tips?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the TEFL Fellowship at AUC back in the 80's, and they didn't do a interview. (no internet back then) I recall that with the application we had to send in a collection of essay type questions on why we wanted to do the MA, why we wanted to do it in Cairo and/or at AUC, our professional goals, and a description of our teaching experience. Although as luck would have it, I attended TESOL in NYC that year, and met a number of people in AUC management. Their discussions with me there are pretty much what got me the Fellowship.

Most Fellows end up teaching in the ELI. Standard IEP type teaching experience would probably be a topic. I ended up in their business outreach program since I was working in business at the time and had never used my original education degree. But, we also did test prep courses for those who were unable to get into the ELI... usually because of lack of writing skills. That is what got me interested in teaching writing, and I keyed on that for much of the rest of my teaching career.

VS
Cairo1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info VS Smile
Pearl of a Girl

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your interview went well, Cairo1. Am thinking of applying to AUC's Master's program once I complete a year of graduate study here in Canada. Would love to hear more about the process if you have the time to post or pm.
Quote:
Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries, know people. ~ Alexander Solzhenitsyn
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you would want to do a year of "graduate study" before applying for a TEFL Fellowship at AUC. You would end up having to duplicate your work. Unless, of course, it is study in another field.

VS
Pearl of a Girl

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, VS!

Why this path? The one year program I've been accepted to is from a highly regarded university in Canada and I would receive a graduate certificate in TESL, it takes me to top of the teaching classification and salary scales in my province, and the tuition will be reimbursed by my school division. Since it's delivered online throughout the academic year I can continue to work and prepare for year two, which will have to be completed outside of my province regardless of the institution.

Am certainly not looking to duplicate my work, VS - I'm too old for that! I'm simply considering applying to AUC for my second year if they'll accept transfer credit at the graduate level. If this is the case, I understand the fellowship program may not be an option but would apply as a paying customer.
Quote:
Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries, know people. ~ Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: