Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

asian canadian need advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
minigo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: asian canadian need advice Reply with quote

Hi All,
I desperately need help. I am an asian canadian who has been looking for a job in Taiwan for almost 6 months now. However i have not been successful because I am non-white. I have my BA in History and has tonnes of teaching experience. Any advice on how to get a job? by the way, I'm still in Candad. I don't want to go there without already having a job. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. My girlfriend is a cbc. She found work here after a little looking around. Things, however, are typically more difficult for Asian Americans/Canadians than for the rest of us. This much you probably know already. Firstly, it will be very difficult for you to find a job outside of Taiwan. Alot of overseas hiring is handled by recruiters. One recruiter told me that schools will not pay a recruiter for a foreign born Chinese teacher. The schools will quite often hire you directly once you are here, however. It is always preferable for a prospective teacher to find work once here. For you, it might be your only option. Other problems you might encounter have to do with salary. They might try to pay you the somewhat lower local teacher rate. You might be able to get around this by working for smaller, foreigner owned operations, as my girlfriend did. These places don't use co-teachers in class, so their teachers must also speak Mandarin. In these places, a cbc is quite valuable.
Okami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

ABC/CBC have it the easiest here, especially if you can speak passable Mandarin. Most of the ones I know are making more money and have better jobs than I do. You will have to come over on your own though.

Please don't give me that non-white stuff either, maybe I'm taking it wrong, but after 3+ years, it's a little hard to tolerate whining from a person from a group that regularly does better than white people here.

Listen, I'm not trying to bust your balls. If you can speak Mandarin then come on over and find a job. The world will be your oyster. Just watch out for the Chinese cultural card being played on you.

CYA
Okami
juzstylin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: It's true... Reply with quote

...I speak from experience. It is harder as a CBC/ABC to get a job in Asia as an EFL teacher. However, that being said, I landed a job with the first company I applied for, HESS. I've been rejected at some of the bigger eikawas in Japan however.

Btw, this goes out to those already living in Taiwan. I speak Taiwanese, but not Mandarin...even though I speak the second native language, how useful is it in Taiwan?
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are being hired as a foreigner by Hess, your Chinese language skills will be unimportant. As a Chinese English teacher, you will need to be able to speak Mandarin as well as write traditional Chinese characters (as well as the kk phonetic system). In some of the smaller schools that don't utilize co-teachers, the translation is all spoken because it is done by Mandarin speaking foreigners (as in my girlfriend's case). In such a school, you may have a chance if you can speak only Taiwanese. You'd probably do better in the South, though. Some of the northerners don't speak Taiwanese all that well.

I disagree that it's easier for CBC/ABCs here. That hasn't been what I've seen and experienced vis-a-vis my girlfriend. I think a foreign born Chinese-- who qualifies for citizenship here-- can, over the long haul, do rather well provided s/he cultivates relationships well and is willing to work anywhere/ anytime. However, compared to us whites, they are at a disadvantage when it comes to simply stepping off a plane and getting a job in any town they go to. The tendency is also toward paying ABCs the local Chinese teacher rate, if they'll consider you at all.
Okami

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taoyuansteve,

You must be hanging around a different circle of ABC/CBC's than me because all the ones I know have cush jobs and high pay.

Take the one I work with at my kindy. He speaks Chinese with his students during class time, makes more than I do, gets away regularly with the things that I get into trouble for. All because of that asian face. Unfortunately I work at a kindy that was very successful only doing Chinese, till the city open public kindies. They have painfully little experience and chose an ABC, so that they would only have to deal with one foreigner.

Night time buxiban jobs for junior and senior high also pay very well for them. I know 2 that were making money hand over fist from such jobs.

Same for private students, there are more parents that will accept an FBC over a non-FBC, because of sterotypes. They feel more comfortable with peple that look like them, like most people in the world.

FBC's that have problems, generally can't speak Chinese, and/or have a haughty attitude according to the Taiwanese I know. They also whine a lot about how difficult it really is. sort of like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

CYA
Okami
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect your different experience. As I said, I have seen that FBCs that have been here a while do rather well. If they speak Mandarin well, they typically can have quite a few entrepreneuerial oportunities the rest of us can't. One Abc friend of mine gets classes at 1000 an hour. Of course he goes all over to get 'em. My girlfriend does rather well. She does, however, work for an American-owned buxiban. I know of a few fbcs that work for 400 an hour or less based soley on their Chineseness.
minigo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

To all that replied:

Thanks for the suggestions and the advice. I will not despair and will keep trying. Sorry if my problem annoyed anyone. Thanks again.

minigo
wood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okami wrote:
Rolling Eyes

ABC/CBC have it the easiest here, especially if you can speak passable Mandarin. Most of the ones I know are making more money and have better jobs than I do. You will have to come over on your own though.

Please don't give me that non-white stuff either, maybe I'm taking it wrong, but after 3+ years, it's a little hard to tolerate whining from a person from a group that regularly does better than white people here.

Listen, I'm not trying to bust your balls. If you can speak Mandarin then come on over and find a job. The world will be your oyster. Just watch out for the Chinese cultural card being played on you.

CYA

Okami

Some ABCs/CBCs do well here. Lots leave after a short stay and many rejections. Speaking Chinese helps a lot and while many ABCs/CBCs can handle that part, they don't have the necessary experience that schools, which require Chinese speakers, are looking for. So I'd say that the world could be your oyster, but first you'd have to pay your dues. That means getting experience and learning how to handle a roomful of kiddies with their parents in tow. Convincing parents that your English is just as good as a 'caucasian's' is another challenge, altogether. Many schools consider this aspect and therefore are reluctant to hire ABC's/CBCs. Attitudes are changing--slowly.

Learning how to face rejection without becoming bitter about the reasons for it will serve anyone here well--particularly those who have been rejected on the basis of 'race' or wrongly supposed deficiency.
trukesehammer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Does 1/8th Chinese Count? Reply with quote

ABCs, 123s, and CBCs? What's the deal? I keep reading that A/CBCs have a tough time getting jobs in Taiwan. In fact, it has become a mantra here in Dave's as well as "on the street" but is it true?

As for myself, I'm 1/8th Chinese but I don't think my situation counts. I don't look like a Chinese at all. More like an ET than anything. But being an American Indian/Micronesian/Danish/Chinese does have its advantages. When I travel I can "pass" for almost anything I want, especially in Third-World Countries.

But back to the subject at hand. I've got a CBC buddy who's doing pretty good at Minchuan University. And I reckon I ain't doing bad, either. Then again, both of us have our PhDs. My best advice to you: ACQUIRE & USE LOTS OF GUANXI. This cuts through all kinds of red tape and dumb hiring practices.
wood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Does 1/8th Chinese Count? Reply with quote

trukesehammer wrote:
ABCs, 123s, and CBCs? What's the deal? I keep reading that A/CBCs have a tough time getting jobs in Taiwan. In fact, it has become a mantra here in Dave's as well as "on the street" but is it true?

As for myself, I'm 1/8th Chinese but I don't think my situation counts. I don't look like a Chinese at all. More like an ET than anything. But being an American Indian/Micronesian/Danish/Chinese does have its advantages. When I travel I can "pass" for almost anything I want, especially in Third-World Countries.

But back to the subject at hand. I've got a CBC buddy who's doing pretty good at Minchuan University. And I reckon I ain't doing bad, either. Then again, both of us have our PhDs. My best advice to you: ACQUIRE & USE LOTS OF GUANXI. This cuts through all kinds of red tape and dumb hiring practices.

My mother is Chinese. I can pass for an American, but no one would ever mistake me for a local. CBCs/ABCs don't have this option. Some of them do quite well regardless. Many others don't. They leave out of frustration.
Okami

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lots leave after a short stay and many rejections.

Quote:
they don't have the necessary experience that schools, which require Chinese speakers, are looking for. So I'd say that the world could be your oyster, but first you'd have to pay your dues. That means getting experience and learning how to handle a roomful of kiddies with their parents in tow.

Change Chinese speakers to English speakers

Quote:
Many schools consider this aspect and therefore are reluctant to hire ABC's/CBCs. Attitudes are changing--slowly.

Same with some schools with caucasians, blacks, and anybody else they decide to discriminate against.

Take any of these statements and they can be applied to about anybody applying for English teaching jobs in Taiwan. There is nothing special or discriminitory towards FBC's that any of us wouldn't face at another place. The problem is that they whine. Where if a non-Chinese whines he is quickly written off, if a FBC whine it must have some merit. Please write off this incessant Chinese "whoe is me attitude." We all have problems here, they will be different for different people. While some schools won't touch a FBC, some will only hire FBC's.

CYA
Okami
trukesehammer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Why Leave? Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I don't get it. LEAVE out of frustration? That doesn't sound like the behavior of a genuine trooper expat to me.

As for my Chinese buddy at Minchuan and myself, we both could fill your ears or eyeballs with our own rejection stories, but we kept on keeping on until we got our "cushy" gigs. I teach 8 hours per week and make almost 6-wan per month at a university in Hualian.

To be honest, however, I don't know if I got this job on merit or guanxi. --Which brings me to Okami's rather MEAN but ACCURATE desciption of FBCs "whining." I mean seriously, GUANXI is an important part of Chinese culture. Even FBCs should know how to operate this complicated cultural machinery. And if someone as addlepated as ME could learn it, ANYONE can.
wood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okami wrote:
Many schools consider this aspect and therefore are reluctant to hire ABC's/CBCs. Attitudes are changing--slowly.

Same with some schools with caucasians, blacks, and anybody else they decide to discriminate against.

Take any of these statements and they can be applied to about anybody applying for English teaching jobs in Taiwan. There is nothing special or discriminitory towards FBC's that any of us wouldn't face at another place. The problem is that they whine. Where if a non-Chinese whines he is quickly written off, if a FBC whine it must have some merit.
CYA
Okami[/quote]

Are you saying that caucasians are discriminated against here for English teaching positions because of the way they look? As for you comment about discrimination any of us would face at any other place, I don't think it is pertinent to this discussion. After all, we are talking about Taiwan--not any other place.

I don't see much merit to anyone's whining, FBC or otherwise. In fact, I've often encouraged ABCs I've known to come over and give it a try. There are certain things that could work against them here but I'm convinced that anyone with a pair of balls, who can shrug off rejection and soldier on, can get a job teaching in Taiwan. Even so, there are FBCs who come unprepared for rejection or discrimination (perceived or otherwise), who pack up and leave with their tails between their legs after being told 'no' a few times too many (by their estimate). I'm not making excuses for these people. In fact anyone who leaves due to a few rejections probably didn't really want to be here in the first place.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A side effect of the re- implemented racist policy of the R.O.C. to ban English language teaching from schools is that many of those schools will now only hire Foreign Born Chinese as English teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: