Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurtz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, sarge. It does highlight the problems of this forum though. My comments on ACE stem from an experienced teacher; however, your post talks about someone wanting to experience Cambodia - big difference.

I enjoyed my holiday in Cambodia, but low wages, brutally hot weather, gun crime, bag snatching and assorted scams, no thanks. Yes, I know Cambodia is not alone in that Wink
Dave_1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
kurtz wrote:
Cambodia as a holiday destination, fine. Cambodia to live on USD$1000-1500/month, you've got to be joking. Let's keep the goalposts in line. Experienced teacher and aforementioned wage with no sick pay or holiday pay with a realistic schedule of 6am to 8 pm; only for backpackers.

Pass.

In regards to the hours, my friends who worked there did say that splits came up, but, from memory, it was not that brutal. Personally, I hate split-shifts, but, alas, it's common in TEFL and I had to do them when I was working at ACET in Saigon Sad. We would have a 7:45am class for 4 hours then a two-hour lesson at 6:15 p.m. However, I didn't have to do them all the time and management spread the hours out as fairly as they could. In regards to the pay, I could support myself easily in Cambodia on $1500 a month. I doubt I would save that much though.

If you don't think Cambodia is a viable option for a teacher then no one is trying to convince you. You don't even like the country. However, for those who like/love Cambodia and want to experience living there, the fact remains that ACE is the best school to work for. If someone wants to spend a year or two experiencing a beautiful, welcoming country with a fascinating history then I can understand that. If it is not your cup of tea, then fine.

I'd be extremely wary of ACE due to the number of public holidays and gaps between terms/semesters...all unpaid. One could get 26-28hrs a week at one point but that ended when new DoSor policy came in... cut everyone to 18-20hrs a week as they didn't want to compromise quality..let them do their job better by reducing hours burden.so kind of them eh?..obviously just great for teacher..a 6hr a week pay cut. It may have changed but it wasn't good from reports I had from staff a year or so back. Some classes fine but some very tricky characters too...and Cambodians do not do face to face complaining..sadly the non confrontation aspect can lead to more two face than one...they will drop by admin and say what they feel they can't directly..it's just culture and not fault of students as such. Be wary of ACE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: