Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CES: Anyone know it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianthestrider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: CES: Anyone know it? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

thank you very much for all the information you have posted on here; it's most helpful.

I'm currently mulling over the offer of a job from Cairo English School. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of it and, if so, what? I think it's in New Cairo but they transport teachers to/from school. What kind of place is that to live/work in? Is it a good idea to even move to Cairo in this political climate?

Thank you for any help you can offer. They're looking for an answer from me on Monday...

Brian
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CES: Anyone know it? Reply with quote

brianthestrider wrote:
Is it a good idea to even move to Cairo in this political climate?

This depends on your capacity for uncertainty...

I haven't heard of the school... there are so many of them and K-12 isn't my area... but be sure that they provide a legal work visa.

I would guess that the conditions are similar to the description in the sticky at the top of this board. Cool

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of it, but then there are thousands of private schools in Cairo.

Transportation to and from work is standard and you should not be required to reimburse the school for it.

If you are already in the country, it is likely you will not have a work visa. Although, as VS says, you'll want one, they are not typical as visas serve to protect teachers (as well as a contract, in Arabic, that has been registered with the government) and shady school owners are not willing to give up that power.

What is the package they've offered?
brianthestrider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it appears to be a legitimate International School offering a British curriculum. They would require me to sign a 2-year contract and have sent all the information I need regarding visas, etc. The pay is comparable to other jobs I have been applying for around the world.

I do have the stomach for a challenging teaching environment and I know that it's an uncertain situation. In short, I'm asking if you guys think it's safe - or should I look elsewhere?
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the package include transportation and accommodations? Accommodations aren't a given when it comes to Egyptian schools, however they should at least offer you transportation - at no charge to you - and help finding a flat or a flatshare.

I'm curious what you mean when you say "comparable." Certified teachers with experience can make a comfy living and supplement their salary with private lessons.

Were you given an opportunity to talk to current/former teachers?
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the school, in New Cairo?

http://www.cesegypt.com/page.cfm?p=1
brianthestrider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the school. By comparable I meant that the salary is similar to that being offered by other international schools I have been applying to. They include transportation and shared (with one person) accommodation in the contract.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked around their website. It certainly looks like a top of the line opportunity.
Cairoteach

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us updated as to your decision. I don't know as much about CES as other international schools here. A young single woman I meet worked there and didn't complain. She left before the revolution.

As someone said earlier, little is for certain here. Once you're here and if you decide to move on, you can find out a lot more about the reputation at schools in Cairo and even the larger region.

Good luck.
emilyd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: CES in cairo Reply with quote

HI
I just got a job offer from the school - does anyone have any feedback about the school? How does the salary compare? Working conditions etc... Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: