Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Bologna or Emilia-Romagna from Sept 2011

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newtoefl2011

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Bologna or Emilia-Romagna from Sept 2011 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I are a British couple in our 20's and are currently taking a TEFL course in the UK. We're hoping to teach in Italy from September and are particularly drawn to the idea of teaching in Bologna or, failing that, the any town or city in Emilia-Romagna.

Although we'll both have TEFL qualifications, only my girlfriend has a degree and neither of us have any teaching experience besides the 20 hour work classroom instruction module on our course. We do, however, both have an elementary grasp of Italian and are currently working to improve our language skills.

How difficult is it likely to be to find work in Bologna with these credentials? Also, any advice on any schools or organisations which are likely to be recruiting from September would be much appreciated, as would an idea of what Bologna is like to live and teach in.

Thanks!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you come and have a little look-see in Bologna before you commit to it? It's a short hop on Ryanair (Forli airport) and you can at least get a feel for the city (very nice, btw) and drop off your CVs at some language schools / get some info from them about their September plans.

If you look back through this forum, there is someone living and working in Bologna who posted a while back about his experiences there. You could even try DMing him...

Good luck with your plans!
newtoefl2011

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately it wouldn't really be practical for us to visit Bologna beforehand as we both have full time jobs as well as study until late August when we're looking at heading over to Italy.

We decided on Bologna primarily because we have quite a few friends who have told us that Bologna is a fairly large city which is still easy to get around in, has beautiful architecture, great cuisine and friendly locals, but is still less visited that Rome, Venice or Florence. Another big draw is the fact that it's a big university city, so we thought that job opportunities might be more plentiful there than in the more famous Italian cities such as Rome, Milan and Venice where we figured there'd be quite a glut of English teachers. Is this the case?

Also How is the job market in Rome? Is the fact that we don't have much teaching experience likely to hinder us much?

Thanks for the help!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtoefl, I am not sure if you realise that TOEFL is a test for non-native speakers of English.

http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/about/

it's not really important, but you might not want to use this name anywhere you're applying for jobs Very Happy
It kinda implies that you've just passed an English language test and are a non-native speaker.

I think you mean TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language - meaning in a non-native English speaking country) or TESL (teaching English as a second language - usually in an Anglophone country to students or immigrants).
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
newtoefl, I am not sure if you realise that TOEFL is a test for non-native speakers of English.

http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/about/

it's not really important, but you might not want to use this name anywhere you're applying for jobs Very Happy
It kinda implies that you've just passed an English language test and are a non-native speaker.

I think you mean TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language - meaning in a non-native English speaking country) or TESL (teaching English as a second language - usually in an Anglophone country to students or immigrants).

Interesting--I read the name as "new to EFL. ." Spiral read "new toefl." (Another 'T' in there would definitely clear it up: "new to TEFL.") Wink

Last edited by AGoodStory on Thu May 19, 2011 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I didn't get that. Have spent too much time prepping students for TOEFL, probably Very Happy
Still, a good point to clear up, I think. Some employers may have the same vision as me.

How about: new2EFL?
newtoefl2011

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed "new to efl", I didn't even consider that it could be read any other way! Not to worry- at least I won't be applying for jobs with my username!
acmurray

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I already responded to your note on PM and just saw your post here, but just one more thing to mention:

Do brush up on your Italian--use flashcards, watch Italian movies, whatever--because finding English speakers is a bit hit or miss here in Bologna, and probably a miss with most landlords.

Bologna is SO lovely! I've gotten all nostalgic since I'm going back to the US in a month. But hey, it's one more teaching position here that will be opening up. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: